Here's a crazy gun control idea that might actually work

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, you should do this.

Then when everything doesn't go to shit and things actually improve dramatically, most of you will realize how much y'all were wrong. I suppose there would be a few exceptions who would try to have them restored, but they'd go to rally their old friends back to the way things were. Except, they'd find those friends not agreeing with them anymore.

So yup, try to prove your point. I dare ya.....

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
The first step should be enforcing current laws. Seeing as how the national instant criminal background check system denied almost 80,000 people last year from purchasing a gun and not even a dozen of them were followed up on and prosecuted. Trying to purchase a gun legally when under the definition of the law you are prohibited from owning or possesing one (domestic assault, felonies, etc) in it of itself IS A FELONY.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
What I don't like is how so many people think that we're free because the govt hasn't attempted to totally ban civilian use of firearms.

The truth is that we're not free and maybe more people would wake the hell up if the govt enacted total gun control. They've been halfway there for a long time.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Responsible citizens carrying guns prevents crime.
the govt is a much larger problem than private crime.

Neo-Conservatives only support gun rights because they're worried about private criminals (rather than the State or both). They have no ethics, they're worried solely about utility and they lack the ability to think independently.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
It just won't happen as much as our more serious gun grabbers on these boards would love it.

And no it wouldn't work sandorski, there are not enough hardcore liberal warriors willing to go door to door across America to seize 270 million weapons. There are millions of left leaning citizens who are law abiding gun owners who would likely kill anyone entering their home to seize their weapons. I shouldn't even have to comment on the conservatives, they would likely raise an Army and straight up attack those who are doing the seizing.

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
If you die because you can't defend yourself, you'll be a hero, and you'll become a statistic that cements the need for guns in our society and you'll make our country safer. Be heroes and give up your guns in the short term so that we can finally end this struggle and have some closure, like we did with alcohol in the 1920s.
I hate to break it to you but people protecting themselves with guns get next to ZERO media exposure, hardly any even at the local level let alone getting picked up by national media outlets.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It just won't happen as much as our more serious gun grabbers on these boards would love it.

And no it wouldn't work sandorski, there are not enough hardcore liberal warriors willing to go door to door across America to seize 270 million weapons. There are millions of left leaning citizens who are law abiding gun owners who would likely kill anyone entering their home to seize their weapons. I shouldn't even have to comment on the conservatives, they would likely raise an Army and straight up attack those who are doing the seizing.

It would have to be a door to door seizure. How many people would have to die refusing to give up weapons before it really hits the news? also make no mistake it wouldn't be just gun owners that would refuse and fight it. many will now allow the government or whatever enter a house and search. Not to mention the logistics of such a search would be damn near impossible.

I fully agree with the response of forming an Army. I suspect this would be the one thing to lead to civil war 2.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

I voted for Obama and I believe in gun ownership. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet at least almost half of the people who did vote for him feel the same way. This is America, we are not Jews in Nazi Germany.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I voted for Obama and I believe in gun ownership. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet at least almost half of the people who did vote for him feel the same way. This is America, we are not Jews in Nazi Germany.

You should try reading whats in the gun bills and privacy bills these days then :awe:

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
An interesting idea for once unlike the derivative talking points we so often get on P&N. I applaud the OP for his originality and creativity.