Here we go...Falcon NW vs Alienware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I 3rd that ... ABS has one of the best performance/buck altho their products are a ... dull :D not a problem if u aint a ricer!

GnomeCop

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2002
IMO Alienware is the worst out of all the choices here, it would have to be a neck and neck race between voodoo and falcon NW.

I wouldn't buy a desktop from them, but laptops are another story since I can't go out and build myself a laptop, or buy one nearly as good looking with good build quality

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Boonesmi

why buy a P4 when the platform is at the end of its lifespan (not much upgrade left in it)

Prescott 2004, Tejas 2005 not a long upgrade path? Or are you referring to the socket change?

Because AMD is planning on 2 of those next year ;)

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Phibian, building your own computer is good in more ways then one. First you save money, second you gain valuable experience that you might be able to turn into a part-time (or full-time) job someday. And if you ever need help that's why we are here.

-Por

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Apparently hardware manufacturers owe us all big time, enough so that we shouldn't feel morally obligated not to steal from them.

That is one of the most moronic statements I have ever heard. Nebor... go to OT if you want to be a tool.

BTW... to the OP build your own.

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
Get the Alienware if price is your thing. Id get a Falcon NW because of the Exotix case line. If I was buying for a case though, then I'd get a Voodoo.. :eek:

Phibian

Oct 30, 2001
WOW! thanks, board, for all the great discourse! Aftera 12 hour cooling off peripd, I have to say that I'm on the fence. if I get my old machine working again, I might cave and build my own again...it IS fun and valuable experience-wise.

I'm just a little worried about not knowing those "tweaks" that'll get me the extra oomph that a Falcon AW or VooDoo system might provide...I may be sending up alot of advice flares in the near future!!

Bucksnort

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
I have a falcon and it was worth every penny. U get what u pay for, If u want the best with no oem parts, great support and very smart ppl , best components tested, then if u got the bucks get the falcon. If u want questionable support, some oem parts and lesser quality go with alienware. I checked out alien well before i went with falcon. Do a web search for alienware horror stories. And u do not have to get a high priced painted case with falcon. I got the coolermaster 200 case (non painted) but would get the 210 now.
I would suggest calling falcon and just discuss picking out a system to see. You will see that they are committed to quality, very knowlegable, have done their homework and most importantly they wont try to sell u something u dont need or something to jack up the price! I promise you will be impressed.
I get so sick of ppl that say build your own when u ask about something like this! I have built 2 of my computers and I always wanted a falcon to own and I was able to so I got one. I future I will upgrade the falcon system. Fully upgradable, great case etc etc etc.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Point 1: A prebuilt system will never be as fast as one you can build yourself.

Point 2: A prebuilt system is also a system that you know nothing about. By building the system yourself, you gain intimate knowledge of how each part works, and the nuances of each part you build int your system.

Point 3: A prebuilt system, especially from a vendor like Alienware or FalconNW, can be up to twice as expensive vs. building it yourself.

However, all that aside, if you insist on going prebuilt, IMO your best choice is a refurbished Dell system. While still more expensive than a BIY rig, its much cheaper than new. Dell's refurbished inventory is MASSIVE (although less some during the holiday season). It usually has some very high-end systems in stock too. I've bought a couple refurbished servers, and must say that the stigma commonly attached to items marked "refurbished" has no place with these systems. When dell gets them back to the factory, each part is removed, tested, and rebuilt on the same assembly line as new systems.

Of course, like i said to begin with, nothing compares to building the rig yourself. ;)

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Originally posted by: Boonesmi

why buy a P4 when the platform is at the end of its lifespan (not much upgrade left in it)

Prescott 2004, Tejas 2005 not a long upgrade path? Or are you referring to the socket change?

Because AMD is planning on 2 of those next year ;)
im refering to the socket change :)
and i suggested an athlon64 (amd has no plan to change socket754 in the next year
rolleye.gif
) its supposed to be around for quite a while

its the athlonFX that will be switching from socket940 to 939

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Falcon NW is the computers that I think look the best and are the best built, but they do cost more. for processors get teh AMD Athlon 64 FX51 hands down the best option for high end machines right now, the Pentium 4 EE is a joke even though it's available it create 137watts of heat, it may perform on par with the AMD FX chip, but there's no 64 bit and it costs more and produces twice the heat.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: wetcat007
Falcon NW is the computers that I think look the best and are the best built, but they do cost more. for processors get teh AMD Athlon 64 FX51 hands down the best option for high end machines right now, the Pentium 4 EE is a joke even though it's available it create 137watts of heat, it may perform on par with the AMD FX chip, but there's no 64 bit and it costs more and produces twice the heat .

I would also say Falcon just by how they look, and the Athlon 64 FX seems a brainer. Wetcat007 wrote a quick summary of how they stacj against each other.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Falcon NW is sweet. If I had the cash, they would get my $$$$ long before Alienware.

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'd go for the Intel platform, because I like the speed and reliability of the new Intel chipsets. Traditionally, Intel platforms have been more stable than AMD, though I've been a big AMD fan throughout the last couple of years.

Also, why not get a Dell? They are good systems, and you'd be saving a bunch. Dell frequently runs promotions as well.

Just a thought...

I'd build one myself, but that's just me.

dvinnen

Jul 10, 2003
Personally, I think Alienware pc's are fuggly. That said, build one yourself with an Athlon 64. They are already falling in price (down to 380). Plus it only gives off like ~60 watts of heat even though the fan/heatsink are designed for ~90 watts, so they run cool ~40 degrees C

IgoByte

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: dvinnen
Personally, I think Alienware pc's are fuggly. That said, build one yourself with an Athlon 64. They are already falling in price (down to 380). Plus it only gives off like ~60 watts of heat even though the fan/heatsink are designed for ~90 watts, so they run cool ~40 degrees C

Hehee... I agree about Alienware PCs (especially the new ones) being fugly... I'd never buy one.
Also, why spend so much money on something that anyone can buy at the local Best Buy? Be original and build one yourself.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
alienware cases look like ass

id get a falcon NW or a Voodoo Pc one - but that woudl onlt be if i had 4k to toss down the toiolet

they cost way to much. i was messing around configureing a voodoo teh other day and got it up to 5K A64 gig ram 500 megs HD.... you coudl build all that yourself for like 2k

but its your money. falcon Nw or voodoo says I. and teh ABS systems have been getting good reviews in PC mag and such and they are cheaper also

Overkast

Aug 1, 2003
Phibian, if warranty is your only concern here then don't let it be... I was stuck in the same hardspot as you a few months ago until I finally decided to build my own rig (for the first time).

Who needs a bonehead-corporate-technician-sponsored warranty on your machine when you can simply buy Quality parts with their own factory warrantees???

Here's an example of the system I just built and the warrantees that came with my parts (not including case and extra fans, etc.):

P4 2.4c processor = 3yr. warranty
Intel D875PBZ mobo = 3yr. warranty
Mushkin 3500 RAM = lifetime
2 WD Raptor Hard Drives = 5yr. warranty
ROMS and RWs = 1yr warranty (I think)
Antec 550w PSU = 3yr. warranty
ATI 9600 Pro = 3yr. warranty

I built this system for $1,550 off newegg... no way I could have built this same system (especially with quality parts) at this same price with Dell, Alienware, Falcon, or anyone else.

GnomeCop

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2002
hehen if there was a poll asking which company woule be better to get a system from including voodoo, alienware, falcon NW, etc.... people will always find a way to vote "build your own" even though that wasn't the question.

syberscott

Feb 20, 2003
I never thread crap, but I just can't resist.
Originally posted by: Nebor
My opinion is that buying a computer prebuilt is only for people who lack the ability to build it themselves. You are literally flushing money down the toilet by not building it yourself.

Here is a quote from another thread...
I destroyed an Abit NF7 mobo and a Barton 2500+ when I was building my secondary computer a couple months back. Slipped w/ a screwdriver, bam, ruined them both. Didn't RMA or return them. It worked fine until I tried to put an SLK heatsink on it and nailed it w/ the screwdriver.

And you think buying a prebuilt system is a waste of money? What about people that are too incompetent to install a heatsink? I think you need to call 1-800-WWW-DELL.
That is all...

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: syberscott
I never thread crap, but I just can't resist.
My opinion is that buying a computer prebuilt is only for people who lack the ability to build it themselves. You are literally flushing money down the toilet by not building it yourself.

Here is a quote from another thread...
I destroyed an Abit NF7 mobo and a Barton 2500+ when I was building my secondary computer a couple months back. Slipped w/ a screwdriver, bam, ruined them both. Didn't RMA or return them. It worked fine until I tried to put an SLK heatsink on it and nailed it w/ the screwdriver.

And you think buying a prebuilt system is a waste of money? What about people that are too incompetent to install a heatsink? I think you need to call 1-800-WWW-DELL.
That is all...

PWNAGE!!!

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
I think an amd64 system would be sweet, I have dealt with abs/nutrend and they offer great systems a good price.

If you want a bit more bang for the buck go with Dell I bet you could get a 3ghz system with a 9800xt for close to $1000 if not now then soon, and yes they do sell the 9800xt.

Tom