Here we go again. Another nut who can't get it thru his head.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
My question . . . how long before the creation of unConstitutional monuments in public buildings is outsourced to China?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
They always have to sneak 'em in by the dead of night or on national holiday when no one's around. So much subterfuge. Too funny.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
They always have to sneak 'em in by the dead of night or on national holiday when no one's around. So much subterfuge. Too funny.

Typical Church-folk silliness. You get used to it.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard
Inspired by Alabama Jurist, Winston-Salem Official Places Ten Commandments Marker at City Hall

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - A city council member who said he was inspired by Alabama's ousted chief justice placed a one-ton granite monument to the Ten Commandments in front of City Hall on Monday while it was closed for the King Day holiday.

BTW, was Moore a jurist?

Just another Politician tring to appeal to the Fire and Brimstone christian types.

His motive is political. He is just trying to build his name recognition.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
My question . . . how long before the creation of unConstitutional monuments in public buildings is outsourced to China?

rofl, but no!!!!!

Just imagine, they'll be like $5 at Walmart and popping up all over the damn place! :)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
It's already been removed. Judge Moore couldn't pack his bus full of holy-roller protestors fast enough, I guess.

Commandments Marker Removed at City Hall

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. ? A granite monument to the Ten Commandments (search) placed in front of City Hall by a lone council member was removed Tuesday after it was deemed a safety threat, a city spokeswoman said.

No protesters were present when the monument was lifted with a backhoe and taken to a Department of Transportation warehouse, spokeswoman Carrie Collins said. The 4-foot-tall granite marker consisted of two unfastened pieces that Collins said could topple over.

"We roped it off to protect the public and decided to remove it," she said.

City Council member Vernon Robinson, who said he was inspired by Alabama's ousted chief justice, placed the monument in front of City Hall on Monday while it was closed for the Martin Luther King Jr. (search) holiday. He said he paid the $2,000 cost of buying and moving the monument himself.

City Attorney Ron Seeber said Robinson had no right to install the monument, and Mayor Allen Joines called it divisive.

"Obviously, if you are going to do something like this, this is not the right way to do it," Joines said Monday. "We are working hard to bring the city together. Actions like this tend to push people apart."

The appropriate process for anyone to put a permanent marker on city property is to petition the council for approval, Seeber said.

Robinson, who is running for the Republican nomination for the 5th Congressional District, was traveling early Tuesday and not immediately available for comment. On Monday, he said he didn't get permission to put up the marker because he didn't know the procedure.

Robinson, who is black, also said that his action was not intended to clash with King Day celebrations.

Robinson said he was inspired by former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore (search), who was ousted from office last year for refusing to obey a federal court order to remove a 2-ton Ten Commandments monument placed in the rotunda of the Alabama Judicial Building. A federal judge found the monument to be an unconstitutional governmental promotion of religion.

The marker put up in Winston-Salem is inscribed on one side with the Ten Commandments and on the other with the Bill of Rights. Robinson said it was "intended to acknowledge the undeniable role that the Ten Commandments and Bill of Rights have played in developing the American legal tradition."

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: smashp
Originally posted by: Gaard
Inspired by Alabama Jurist, Winston-Salem Official Places Ten Commandments Marker at City Hall

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) - A city council member who said he was inspired by Alabama's ousted chief justice placed a one-ton granite monument to the Ten Commandments in front of City Hall on Monday while it was closed for the King Day holiday.

BTW, was Moore a jurist?

Just another Politician tring to appeal to the Fire and Brimstone christian types.

His motive is political. He is just trying to build his name recognition.

Are you psychic or just another dumbass that thinks they know what someone else is thinking?

You ever think that maybe someone has a belief system that might not be in line with what you believe?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: nutxo
You ever think that maybe someone has a belief system that might not be in line with what you believe?
Yeah, but we expect them to keep it to themselves, not parade it around town in the form of a several ton monument. ;)

Feb 3, 2001
Well if the council had put it up, that would be unconstitutional because it would violate the first amendment. However, since it was basically a private citizen who put it up without permission, it's simply illegal.

They should haul it into impound, charge this idiot a fine for littering and then charge him for storage and removal of the thing. One ton monument...what an ass.

Jason

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Yeah, but we expect them to keep it to themselves, not parade it around town in the form of a several ton monument. ;)

If it were something I believed in strongly enough I would find a way to show it.

Besides, as long as its called "protest" or "freedom of expression" its politically correct, right? The people should be heroes for fighting the opressive republican ill gotten booty puppet government!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
If it were something I believed in strongly enough I would find a way to show it.

Besides, as long as its called "protest" or "freedom of expression" its politically correct, right? The people should be heroes for fighting the opressive republican ill gotten booty puppet government!
Geeze, if you have to wear your religion on your sleeve, why not get a nice jesus fish pin for your lapel? Why ram your beliefs down everyone's throat who happens to be at city hall pulling permits for their bathroom remodel?

EDIT: "Ill Gotten Booty?" Is that a Beastie Boys track?

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

Geeze, if you have to wear your religion on your sleeve, why not get a nice jesus fish pin for your lapel? Why ram your beliefs down everyone's throat who happens to be at city hall pulling permits for their bathroom remodel?

EDIT: "Ill Gotten Booty?" Is that a Beastie Boys track?

I get it. If you are proud of being black or gay, have a parade and push for legislation based on color or sexual preference. If you believe in god you better shut up and and stick to things like lapel pins or be attacked by the nazis.

I can't believe how mindf*cked people are. The liberals and conservatives are identical in thier hipocrisy.

Live and let live.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Live and let live.
Sure thing, except when you install blatently religious monuments in our government buildings. Seems people have a problem with that. You can google "2nd Amendment Establishment Clause" if you need to find out why. Otherwise, do whatever the hell you want.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Live and let live.
Sure thing, except when you install blatently religious monuments in our government buildings. Seems people have a problem with that. You can google "2nd Amendment Establishment Clause" if you need to find out why. Otherwise, do whatever the hell you want.

Ill do whatever I want anyways, Id tattoo it on your damn forehead if I felt like it and I could deal with the slope and low brow ;-)

If people feel so strongly about it I hope they do it to every courthouse in the country. I think it's funny as hell. I find a great deal more humor in it when people get thier panties in a bunch.

Civil disobedience is a kick in the ass.