Here is a new use for Bluetooth i bet you didnt think of...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,62687,00.html?tw=newsletter_topstories_html...

Brits Going at It Tooth and Nail

By Daniel Terdiman | Also by this reporter Page 1 of 2 next »

02:00 AM Mar. 22, 2004 PT

The Brits sure are randy.

First came dogging, an underground swinging scene where couples and sometimes third or fourth parties engage in public sex for an exhibitionist thrill.

never settle. And now comes "toothing," where strangers on trains and buses and at bars and concerts hook up for clandestine sex by text messaging each other with their Bluetooth-enabled cell phones or PDAs.

"I've always loved the idea of random sexual encounters, but have never felt brave enough to go to (sex) parties," says Steve, a toother from Hitchin, England. "The beauty of toothing is that there's no pressure. I was reluctant to send messages at first, but the standard greeting, which I found out from (an online toothing forum) is so innocuous there is no chance of offending anyone by sending a random message."

According to the Beginner's Guide to Toothing, the online FAQ written by a man who calls himself Toothy Toothing, toothing is "a form of anonymous sex with strangers -- usually on some form of transport or enclosed area such as a conference or training seminar.... Users 'discover' other computers or phones in the vicinity and then send a speculative message. The usual greeting is: 'Toothing?'"

Toothing takes advantage of the capabilities of Bluetooth, a wireless technology that allows two devices to communicate with each other over short distances. Many mobile phones and PDAs now have built-in Bluetooth functionality and allow users to automatically locate other such devices in their vicinity.

"I live in a commuting town outside London," says Jon, or Toothy Toothing. "The train journey in the morning and evening is slow, tiresome and packed full of miserable people halfheartedly prodding at shiny new tech. You recognize faces within your tiny half-hour community, but you never talk to them."

So last November, Jon remembers, he received a text message on the train from a device called "Angela." That night, he went home and figured out how to respond to incoming text messages and did so the next day.

"Cut a long story short, the messages got more and more flirty -- and after a while I had a good idea of who she was, and I think she'd worked out who I was -- and a couple of days later she dared me to meet next to the toilets at the mainline station we were heading to. We met, we screwed and toothing was born."

Steve's introduction to toothing was similar. He had just bought himself a new mobile phone when he was pinged by someone on his commuter line. "Bored? Talk to me," the message read.

"I thought it was some kind of SMS spam," says Steve. "I was messing with the phone's settings, trying to work out what to do when I got the second message, 'I can see you struggling. Meet me in the toilet and I'll show you what to do.'"

Intrigued, he says, he did as bid.

"It was unlocked," he remembers. "A girl was ... in there with her shirt undone. 'This beats the crossword,' she said. And we took it

Steve and hundreds, if not thousands, of others have formed a loose-knit community via Jon's Toothing forum. Although the majority of them are men, there are also many women on the forum, such as "Mysterious Girl," "annie 2uesday," "CandyGrrrl" and others. Members discuss the etiquette of toothing, the best locations to hook up with a toothing partner and whom they hope will be the first celebrities to get involved.

Sometimes they even have a little fun with language.

never settle. Under a posting titled "3's company?" one member asked, "Anyone got any views on the statistical chance of a toothing threesome? Would it be Threething?"

In any case, toothing seems to give its participants an exercise in figuring out who among a sea of random faces might be both toting a Bluetooth phone and interested in partaking of a little illicit sexual activity.

For some toothers, the challenge is determining the gender and sexual orientation of prospective toothing partners, as the practice is by no means the exclusive province of the straight.

Jon says that when a Bluetooth phone locates another, it can see the name that the device's owner has given it. And most, though not all, toothers use names that in one way or another betray their gender.

"Say you search and see 'Hello Kitty' on the list (of nearby devices)," explains Jon. "Then you can look around and try to match that with someone on the train or in the bar, or whatever. It's more likely to be a girl, but it's not guaranteed. It's part of the game."

And indeed, part of that game for those receiving a toothing request is trying to figure out where the message is coming from.

"Bluetooth is short-range, so (you) know the person's near," says Jon. "But all (you) have is the message and (your) own intuition. The same with the person sending -- they don't know who they're sending it to, except for an educated guess based on the phone model (and) device name.... Obviously, when the message arrives, you get some clue from the way people in your vicinity respond: Has someone just checked their phone? Is someone looking quizzically around the carriage? Is someone trying to look for someone looking around the carriage? And so on. It's cat and mouse at first."

Until now, toothing has been mostly a British phenomenon. But Jon recently added a new international toothing category to his forum. And quickly, several people began posting, looking to see if anyone in Mexico, the Czech Republic and elsewhere was into toothing.

Either way, toothers aren't going away. They ride their trains to and from work each day, hoping to find a little excitement amid the drudgery.

"It fills me with a real buzz," says Steve. "Even if you never hook up with someone, there's something exciting about searching for other people's phones.... Plus, it saves trying to chat girls up and getting knocked back. Toothing is immediate; if they're not interested, they won't reply. That's still the majority of people, but I've talked more frequently with other toothers over recent weeks. Maybe the word is finally getting out there."

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
I have no idea how to message with my phone. That's a little embarassing. Anybody know what to do with a T610?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
OH MY!!!! :Q

I wonder when this will arrive in the US.

With your luck you'll be near SF and respond to a "toothing?" message only to find out it's a :eek:

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Guess I'll start riding the train more.............:D

Oh wait, there is no public transportation here in the sticks........:(

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
this has the potential to go horribly wrong for some unlucky person

damn imagine Starr Jones or Rosie O'Donnell being on the other end of a bluetooth device

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: SpazzyChicken
Guess I'll start riding the train more.............:D

Oh wait, there is no public transportation here in the sticks........:(

Malls, Movie theaters, parks....

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
SINNER! i had a girl try to get me to go into our big ass local cathedral and get it on. i couldnt do it.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
At a wedding reception... YOUR wedding reception.

The whole idea sounds cool, but I'd imagine that you'd almost always find people who either don't know what you're talking about or do know and aren't interested. Plus, there are probably VASTLY more men doing this than women.

bubbadu

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
*Throws existing cell phone out window*... Does sprint offer any bluetooth phones?!