Discussion Here is a good example of why you always clean your drivers before swapping cards.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I know this is preaching to the proverbial choir, but lots of lurkers and searchers can always benefit.

Swapped a 2070 super for a GTX 780 without doing anything in between; Goofing around with a working pull. It is my own SSDs and fresh win 10 2004. Plugged it in, rebooted, ran fire strike. No instability, bsod, restarts, or any other obvious indication of an issue. But run the same bench again after cleaning and reinstalling drivers and compare the performance.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What did you use to clean?
I know many use DDU or driver sweeper; I did it manually. Use the uninstaller in apps&progs on everything first restarting as prompted. Then delete the folders in x86&programs - Then delete the folders under the HKeys in the reg - then search the OS drive for nvidia and delete everything. Lastly I go in the device mangler and check show hidden hardware, then remove everything, including checking the box to remove drivers when applicable.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that I reboot at the end and do not let it have a internet connection. My experience has been that win 10 will grab the microsoft Nvidia drivers and install them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZGR and DeathReborn