Here’s how you school climate deniers: The anti-science movement’s biggest fallacies,

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Continuing to read thru, this paper adjusted buoy data up to match ship water bucket data. That I find remarkable as it seems to indicate that using various types of water buckets dropped from ships is more accurate the buoy data. By +.12C. I think that needs serious review.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
The point is that many people fall back on the notion that scientific consensus means something is right. Showing how often such "consensus" has been shown to be wrong in the past is a good way to show that simply saying "consensus" doesn't mean something is correct, especially when politics and agendas are involved.

Yes, science self corrects over time. That doesn't mean at any point in time a particular conclusion is correct, nor does it mean it is not subject to the influence of politics or agendas.

Again, it is about the evidence in each particular case. Everyone already knows science adjusts to the best evidence we have at the time. Using the errors of the past to demean current research is a dishonest method to cast doubt because that system is already built into science, it is intrinsic. It is the foundation of science. It keeps people skeptical of new data, which is a good thing. However, it shouldn't be used to throw everything out or belittle many scientist's conclusions.

Of course it doesn't mean at any point in time we are absolutely correct, but you must show evidence as to why we aren't correct not broadly equate the past to the current debate. :thumbsup:

Nov 30, 2006
I'm really struggling with this study as it essentially implies that the data from all the other various temperature datasets is not correct. How can that be?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Again, it is about the evidence in each particular case. Everyone already knows science adjusts to the best evidence we have at the time. Using the errors of the past to demean current research is a dishonest method to cast doubt because that system is already built into science, it is intrinsic. It is the foundation of science. It keeps people skeptical of new data, which is a good thing. However, it shouldn't be used to throw everything out or belittle many scientist's conclusions.

Of course it doesn't mean at any point in time we are absolutely correct, but you must show evidence as to why we aren't correct not broadly equate the past to the current debate. :thumbsup:
Most telling is that PokerGuy, Jaskalas, et al. will unquestioningly accept any data or science that tells them what they want to hear but reject any data or science that contradicts them as questionable. They can't successfully refute any of it of course, but they just know it is questionable.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Now. Now. Don'nt confuse the issue with their facts or your facts with the facts.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Plus the most obvious thing here is that direct measurement of .2W/m^2 was for CO2 only. It neglects all the other greenhouse gases and feedbacks.

I wanted to correct you on multiple errors in your reply that misrepresented the numbers... 5 years not 10, 0.6c not 0.2c, two locations not one, but this alone trumps any other consideration. They measured solely CO2, don't we have measurements of all radiative forcing changes?

Is this model estimated / simulated, or actual measurement?
^ The above seems to estimated calculations based on gas concentration.
I need a source for measured radiative forcing changes.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I never said past errors should be interpreted to mean that science is invalid or that there's anything wrong with the scientific method. I also don't belittle any particular scientist. It's simply a very logical rebuttal to the idiots that do the opposite, they take "there is consensus" to mean the current reasoning is infallible and no discussion or further analysis is warranted. Anyone who doesn't toe the line is a "denier".

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Most telling is that PokerGuy, Jaskalas, et al. will unquestioningly accept any data or science that tells them what they want to hear but reject any data or science that contradicts them as questionable. They can't successfully refute any of it of course, but they just know it is questionable.

Uh, apparently you haven't read my posts.... or if you have, you haven't understood what was posted.

I don't "unquestioningly" accept anything.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Uh, apparently you haven't read my posts.... or if you have, you haven't understood what was posted.

I don't "unquestioningly" accept anything.
There is a vast amount of data supporting man made climate change which you dismiss because data corrections "just so happens to then support a pre-determined conclusion." Of course, you have never bothered to understand how the data corrections were made. So yeah, you certainly question sources that don't tell you what you want to hear.

On the flip side, there is a relatively small amount of data that contradicts man made climate change, most of which has been shown to be inaccurate. In order for you to think that there is still a debate to be had, you would have to lend much more weight to the accuracy of this data.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
On the flip side, there is a relatively small amount of data that contradicts man made climate change, most of which has been shown to be inaccurate. In order for you to think that there is still a debate to be had, you would have to lend much more weight to the accuracy of this data.

I am aware of many studies on both sides. Could you provide 1 example that is inaccurate and the study that refutes the inaccuracy and reestablishes your premise? I would like to review it as I may have missed such an important study.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I am aware of many studies on both sides. Could you provide 1 example that is inaccurate and the study that refutes the inaccuracy and reestablishes your premise? I would like to review it as I may have missed such an important study.

Wasn't there already a source linked in this very thread that explained why the satellite data was inaccurate and/or didn't provide the whole picture?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
looks like we have been warming all along. But dont let that stop you deniers. You wont have to deal with the full brunt of mass extinction and all the other fucked up things that are going to happen. Whats going to be funny is the people who will read back what you all said in like 300 years. They are gonna fucking hate us. lol.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Evidently the .12C upward to buoy data was to homogenize that data set with engine intake temperature monitors. That assumes buoy data, designed for environmental monitoring/data collection, is less accurate than a ships engine intake thermometer (EIT). Highly suspect I would think.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Wasn't there already a source linked in this very thread that explained why the satellite data was inaccurate and/or didn't provide the whole picture?
Not that I can see. perhaps you could repost if there in fact is one that show that satellite data is inaccurate.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Highly suspect I would think.

And thats all your handlers need. doubt. Once the polar ice caps are fully melted they get access to lots of fresh oil. Pretty cool eh? The use of your product makes it so you have access to more to produce? Just gotta push doubt for a little while longer.

Nov 30, 2006
And thats all your handlers need. doubt. Once the polar ice caps are fully melted they get access to lots of fresh oil. Pretty cool eh? The use of your product makes it so you have access to more to produce? Just gotta push doubt for a little while longer.
Damn...he's on to us!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Not that I can see. perhaps you could repost if there in fact is one that show that satellite data is inaccurate.
Since you didn't read post 206 the first time I am going to assume reposting it won't help this time either.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Since you didn't read post 206 the first time I am going to assume reposting it won't help this time either.
I did read it and do not disagree with it. Christy along with Spencer are two of the most respected climate scientists in the world. I follow Spencer's blog regularly.

edit: That is the charts showing temperature trends across surface and satellite that is.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
You? No. you are a peasant. I'm talking about the guys who know and dont care. You? No. You just believe the bullshit because its comforting. Same with an afterlife. ;)

I see you have entered another thread to add nothing to the discussion. :eek: