HEPA Filter Computer case mod?

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
What is the best way to add a HEPA air filter to a computer case fan? It would make for a cleaner computer case and room.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
No real trick to it, just stick it over the fan grill. You probably don't need a HEPA filter, it would reduce airflow considerably. The reusable filters on todays cases are pretty ideal. If you need a hepa filter, buy a hepa fan. ^^

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Just buy a real air purifier with HEPA filtration. Use it in the same room. Buy a Miele vacuum. Throw away your crappy Hoover/Dyson or whatever and get a real vacuum cleaner like a Miele. With a Miele and a good air purifier, you won't see dust much longer. And you'll see much less over time.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Yes, I'd keep the problems or objectives of your room and the computer case-interior separate.

Here is one set of many possibilities for filtering that my eliminate any disassembly when you want to clean a filter:

http://www.demcifilter.com/

The company, in South Africa, will do business with you directly and mail the product to you in cooperation with USPS for reasonable shipping and delay.

You can also buy the product here in the States:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Demciflex

These filters use a non-metallic medical-mesh screen, and come with a matched adhesive magnetic tape to use with non-ferrous cases. Further, if you don't find custom filters for your particular case or application, or if the selection of such is incomplete for your purposes, you can often match filters for another make and model case with your own. Or there are generic filters of various sizes which can be made to fit.

For instance, I'm working to build a new system with an 8-year-old CM Stacker 830 case. The only filter from DEMCIFlex for that case is a large side-panel filter for $55. The famous "plastic door" of the Stacker gives me a choice of up to four fans installed in it, but I prefer to use only the bottom two, blocking the top two fan positions with square Lexan panels. I found a rectangular DEMCIFlex filter designed for two 140mm fans side-by-side, and it's a perfect fit for only $25.

Replacing the wire-mesh screens in the front-panels of my HAF 932 cases with DEMCIFlex filters, I'm left with three pieces of wire mesh. I cut frames for them to size from foam-art-board, laminating two or more frames and sandwiching the edge of the screen between them held fast by the glue used to laminate the frames.

There are all sorts of wonderful things you can do with cheap materials and junk, in addition to paying for these great filters from DEMCIFlex.