Banned
Jan 22, 2002
how is henessey in business? doesnt he have like 300 lawsuits against him?>

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
You do realize two things:
#1: the viper is 1000LBs lighter
#2: the garage forum is that way <--

I'm glad it was posted here. I'm tired of this "sub forum" shit. Good God, now I must go to 4 different forums to see what I want when it was one before.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
You do realize two things:
#1: the viper is 1000LBs lighter
#2: the garage forum is that way <--

I'm glad it was posted here. I'm tired of this "sub forum" shit. Good God, now I must go to 4 different forums to see what I want when it was one before.

I have to agree.
It's a pain in the ass going to diff sub forums. It's totally unnecessary

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
well when you consider that the viper was modded and it was racing against a stock Veyron and that the Veyron is a lot heavier, it makes sense.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Too bad the Veyron still looks infinitely more badass! *dreamcar*

Oh, and ditto about the subforums.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yes the sub forum thing is stupid, off topic was way better before since it's for everything and anything

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
well when you consider that the viper was modded and it was racing against a stock Veyron and that the Veyron is a lot heavier, it makes sense.

Plus, they probably gutted the viper - no air conditioner, no leather seats, no cd player, no carpeting, etc. After all, the viper was 1000LBs lighter -- thats almost the weight of another car...

Lets see how a viper goes against a "modded" Veyron. The veyron is 1.6 million dollars for a reason...

Yes, the veyron is also my current dream car...

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: eleison

Plus, they probably gutted the viper - no air conditioner, no leather seats, no cd player, no carpeting, etc. After all, the viper was 1000LBs lighter -- thats almost the weight of another car...

Lets see how a viper goes against a "modded" Veyron. The veyron is 1.6 million dollars for a reason...

I'm saying a STOCK viper is 1000LBs lighter. THe Veyron is a very heavy car for a sports car.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004

I'm saying a STOCK viper is 1000LBs lighter. THe Veyron is a very heavy car for a sports car.

The Veyron is not a sports car, its a grand tourer.

I really think it's overrated, you dont see people going like this over the Concorde. It only runs for 12 minutes at WOT, it weighs in the neighborhood of 2 tons, and really 8+L and 1000hp, 4 turbos and a insane need for cooling, thus causing it's highish coefficient of drag.(The corvette is .3, the 350z is .3, the Camry is .28, the Prius is .26, the Lexus LS430 was .26/.25 while they Veyron is .36 in top speed mode, .37 in normal mode)

It's not that impressive imho and ugly to boot.

For the price you can buy a much sexier 1000hp+ E85 Koeningsegg CCX and a mansion in the suburbs or a large luxury condo in a high rise in a major city

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: mwmorph

I really think it's overrated, you dont see people going like this over the Concorde. It only runs for 12 minutes at WOT, it weighs in the neighborhood of 2 tons, and really 8+L and 1000hp, 4 turbos and a insane need for cooling, thus causing it's highish coefficient of drag.(The corvette is .3, the 350z is .3, the Camry is .28, the Prius is .26, the Lexus LS430 was .26/.25 while they Veyron is .36 in top speed mode, .37 in normal mode)

For the price you can buy a much sexier 1000hp+ E85 Koeningsegg CCX and a mansion in the suburbs or a large luxury condo in a high rise in a major city

By not that impressive do you mean a great piece of engineering? Because if you can't even admit that it IS impressive, your opinion is useless.

Aug 23, 2000
"No replacement for displacement" I believe is the saying. That Viper is easily a million cheaper than the Veyron. It's faster, and it looks better (looks are all subjective), but in the 2 more important categories when dealing with FAST cars, it wins hands down.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I don't understand what's so special about the Veyron. I'ts ugly and expensive.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: bigdog1218

By not that impressive do you mean a great piece of engineering? Because if you can't even admit that it IS impressive, your opinion is useless.

And why would I have to admit it is impressive?

There are 2 other super cars off of the top of my head that can flaunt 1000+hp stock and 250mph top speeds, either of which costs much less.

There have been tuners like Ligenfelter or Hennessey producing 1000 or even 1200+hp Corvettes and Vipers for years, even MTI managed to produce a 900hp GTO.

What does the Veyron really do that no car has done before? What makes it impressive? It's an excellent grand tourer but it's not the holy grail. 4000+lbs? .37cd? 125hp/l? 1.44million price tag? It's a sum of a lot of impressive parts but it breaks no new ground, just a lot of hype and marketing.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: stag3
yes the sub forum thing is stupid, off topic was way better before since it's for everything and anything

Too many whiners that were crying how this forum wasn't custom catered to them.

You still get it even in the subforums. Things like 'why ask questions here'.

Now you have a million moderators and some were well-known asshats to begin with when one did not share the same opinions as them.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
"No replacement for displacement" I believe is the saying. That Viper is easily a million cheaper than the Veyron. It's faster, and it looks better (looks are all subjective), but in the 2 more important categories when dealing with FAST cars, it wins hands down.

Perhaps your two most important categories.

The Veyron is about exclusivity. You can build a Ford Pinto that is fast...it's still a freaking Pinto.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

There are 2 other super cars off of the top of my head that can flaunt 1000+hp stock and 250mph top speeds, either of which costs much less.

There have been tuners like Ligenfelter or Hennessey producing 1000 or even 1200+hp Corvettes and Vipers for years, even MTI managed to produce a 900hp GTO.

What does the Veyron really do that no car has done before? What makes it impressive? It's an excellent grand tourer but it's not the holy grail. 4000+lbs? .37cd? 125hp/l? 1.44million price tag? It's a sum of a lot of impressive parts but it breaks no new ground, just a lot of hype and marketing.

Hmm I disagree- the transmission in itself is quite impressive.

Regardless I wonder how the modded Corvettes and Vipers woul do running at 225mph for 12 minutes straight. I have a strong feeling something would go wrong. Would they be as rock stable at those speeds as the Veyron, would cross winds make it a scary trip, would they be unsettled travelling over dividers or ruts at that speed.

The fact the Veyron can do it with no driver fuss and until its gas runs out is a testament to its engineering. As long as the tires will hold up, you can run it for 12 minutes, fill it up, and do it again and again. Can those other cars do it so reliably?

I totally think the Veyron was an exercise in engineering overkill and is pointless, but comparing it to a highly modded car is stupid. You can get into the same pattern with any car - oooh a BMW M5 is 90K, but I modded by Evo-9 to be waay faster for 1/2 the price.

And for those who can afford the Veyron, their decision-making rationale is totally different than ours. When 1.2 mill is chump change, owning a unique car that will let you go as fast as a production car can possibly go in relaxed and safe fashion is just another toy.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

I doubt that anyone who can afford a Veyron is worried much about money. Plus, they probably both those additional items too.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: dawheat

Hmm I disagree- the transmission in itself is quite impressive.

Regardless I wonder how the modded Corvettes and Vipers woul do running at 225mph for 12 minutes straight. I have a strong feeling something would go wrong. Would they be as rock stable at those speeds as the Veyron, would cross winds make it a scary trip, would they be unsettled travelling over dividers or ruts at that speed.

The fact the Veyron can do it with no driver fuss and until its gas runs out is a testament to its engineering. As long as the tires will hold up, you can run it for 12 minutes, fill it up, and do it again and again. Can those other cars do it so reliably?

I totally think the Veyron was an exercise in engineering overkill and is pointless, but comparing it to a highly modded car is stupid. You can get into the same pattern with any car - oooh a BMW M5 is 90K, but I modded by Evo-9 to be waay faster for 1/2 the price.

And for those who can afford the Veyron, their decision-making rationale is totally different than ours. When 1.2 mill is chump change, owning a unique car that will let you go as fast as a production car can possibly go in relaxed and safe fashion is just another toy.

I dot think I conveyed my point clearly, there are 2 supercars that produce 1000+hp and then there are tuners that have been doing so for years. The CCX running on E85 produces 1018hp and the SSC Ultimate Aero TT makes 1183hp. The SSC recent did an official top speed run in front of gunniess book of world record judges that was cut short due to weather but still achieved something like 230 with a simulated top speed in optimal conditions somewhere in the 273mph range.

The other is the CCXR E85 has been tested (and crashed) by Top Gear (which also ironically crashed the last ordinary CCX they tested) but also will reliable do 250+mph. It has a coefficient drag of .29, and 17 more hp than a veyron meaning that the theoretical top speed, gearing unlimited would be much, much higher than a veyron would ever hope to achieve.

In fact the Veyron takes 24.2 secods to get to 200mph. The CCXR takes just 14.7 seconds.

There are much quicker and faster turn key stock super car solutions if you revel in huge numbers like 1000 hp and 250mph.

Originally posted by: glutenberg

I doubt that anyone who can afford a Veyron is worried much about money. Plus, they probably both those additional items too.

I guess they wouldn't but still, if you can get a car that's faster, better looking and just as rare for a fraction of the cost, why would you spend money on the long dead Bugatti nameplate which historically hasn't done anything significant besides this in the last 50 years? By 1940 Bugatti factory racing success was over, by 1957 it was irreverent, with only 1 model left and no race cars in production and by 1963 it gave up the swan song and the whole company went under.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
lol at the comments;

"How many of his customer?s cars did Hennessey have to rape in order to piece together this one Veyron beating car?"

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: bigdog1218

The reason the Veyron is impressive is because you can get to that speed and still drink coffee with no fuss, try doing that in any of the cars you mentioned and you'll be sleeping with the fish...

The sheer comfort level of the car in relation to its performance will be unbeatable for quite some time. If that isn't impressive I don't know what is.