HELP X6800 OC

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
Ok here where i'm at i set my CPU at 3.4 and i put + .1v to DIMM and MCH why are my temps CRAZY!!

Also why is my Vcire at 1.4 i never changed that in my BIO's i left it on Normal also my room temp is at 79F
Look at link below..

Click here

imported_SLIM

Jun 14, 2004
Those probably aren't real... What are your temps according to Everest at default clock speed?
Have you at least tried reseating your HSF to make sure there isn't a big air bubble?

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
no i didn't try to reset it and my temps at stock levels are at 41 idle and 55 underload now ever since i made those little changes its at 64 65 ...those seems high for my ultra 120

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Let me see here. 1) You didn't flash to the latest mobo BIOS. 2) You didn't install the heatsink correctly. 3) Get CoreTemp and see what the real temp your $1K system's cooking at.

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
1.yes i have the F4 bio which is the lastest 2.i think there really only one way to install it. and 3.core temps are reading temps at 67C

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
i went in and manual change the Vcore to 1.35 and its running at about 56 to 57C under load is this safe temps or is this still to high?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Here's the X6800's thermal spec. For reference, I'm running a cheap ass Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, doing 3.2GHz @ 1.275V. Idle temp is 39C, load is 54C. Running the same mobo as you. I think something's wrong w/ the way your HSF's mounted or improper thermal grease application.

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
ok i set my v core to 1.35 and left +.1 to dim and +.1 to mch now when i run the stress test it shows my temps at about 54 under load i will try to re sit my hsf in a bit but the test runs for about 35mins and than it stops i have no clue why its stopping its running at 3.4 when it stops the pc still running great but there a reason why its stopping any help would be great

m21s

Dec 6, 2004
Yeah try to redo your thermal paste and re-sit the heatsink.

You might need a second set of hands with that monster to get it to sit properly :)

Report back and let us know if the temps change.

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
do you think that has anything with stress test stopping i cant seem to figure out why the test stops after 30 mins my pc seem to run fine still but there a reason why the test stops but seems like no one really knows why its stopping

Kango2020

Aug 6, 2006
Please tell us more about your stress test. When you say it "Stops", does it give any errors? If so, what is the error. Does it stop the PC? Or just the test? Maybe some additional info could help us help you.

THe heat sink thermal junction with the IHS will definitely have a relationship to the test stopping. A bubble in the TIM, even if there is enough compound between the IHS and the HSF, can give the same temp results as too little TIM. I had to reseat mine 3 times. The temps didn't change much but now I'm certain that my temps are Vcore related. Call it paranoia.

The Conroe is really fussy about Vcore. A little voltage change will cause a large temp change. Get the best HSF you can. Reseat the HSF as many times as necessary so that you have confidence that it is mounted well. Let the TIM "cure" (I believe this effects temps by 2C-5C, in my experience). For proper curing, get that puppy HOT (up to spec high temp) for about 2-4 hours. Then remove the load and let it run for another 2-4 hours. You'll see the difference.

OK. Sorry for the babble. HTH.

Csst

Aug 19, 2006
ok i have reseated my HSF and i think this is my problem (I hope) here is some pictures below sorry the pictures aren't the best but you can see what i'm talking about also how long does it take for this thermal paste to seattle in before i get true readings? Also i doing the stress test again at all stock speeds just to get the CPU hot for 2 hours and than i will stop it let it seattle for a bit and do it again for another 2 hours like you recommended me to do. Also i use the Ultra 120 with a 120mm fan also on the stress test when i do it again i'll let you know what errors i come up with. the thing is when i say the stress test is stopped it's the program that says stop but my PC still run 100% normal there nothing i see that unstable but not sure why its stopping? but it has to be stopping for a reason i bought this HSF becuase i have heared so many good things about it. here the screen shots tell me what you think?

Click here

Csst