HELP: WPA2 with DLink DI-624

Dolby510

Sep 24, 2005
Alright, well I just got off the phone with Customer Service...and I'm not very impressed. The rep. was so lazy and just tried to brush me off and use 64-bit WEP. All I want to know is HOW to configure my computer to connect using WPA2...thats all. This is my first wireless LAN, and although I know most types of security available have there problems...I still dont want my AP to be wide open. PLEASE HELP!

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
most consumer grade stuff is WPA PSK (for pre shared key). You will type a key into the router, and the same key into the WPA portion of the wireless client. I'm not sure if he XP client supports WPA, but if it's on the card, then the client utility will.

orion23

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2003
what equipment to do have?

Are you just entering a Key in the router or are you using a wireless card as well?

For home use, most CSRs will try and get you to use 64-bit WEP encryption so it doesn't affect your connection speed!

Dolby510

Sep 24, 2005
Thanks. I figured it out about an hour after I made this post... I found an article written by an old lady that tells you how to do it exactly. What burns me is how this old lady can figure it out...and DLink tech support can't even at least try to diagnose my problem. The problem was the network portion of XP. All I needed was a simple little update to expand it for WPA-PSK, and DLink couldn't even let me know... The tech support rep. tried to stick me with 64-bit WEP, and implied that it was my fault it wasnt connecting because I upgraded the firmware. Not very impressed at all.

--EDIT:

Sorry orion, I didn't get your post until I posted my update. I'm using the DLink DI-624 with the DWL-G520 PCI Adapter. My daughters computer is currently using the PCI adapter, and when my laptop arrives in a week, we'll both be sharing the WLAN. Right now I'm getting excellent signal strength considering the router is 2 floors down. Both the router and the PCI adapter are operating in Turbo-G, so Im currently getting 108MBps, with WPA enabled, using TKIP encryption. I'm planning on using WPA2 when my laptop arrives though.

orion23

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2003
I'm glad you got it to work.

I see that D-link and Linksys now support WPA2, something Netgear doesn't yet support.

I have a double 108mpbs router and matching notebook card using WPA at this time!

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: orion23
what equipment to do have?

Are you just entering a Key in the router or are you using a wireless card as well?

For home use, most CSRs will try and get you to use 64-bit WEP encryption so it doesn't affect your connection speed!

I have tested (on good hardware, not sure if that matters) Open no enc, WEP 64, WEP128, WPA, WPA2, etc and there is not really a noticable speed difference. I have tested this with most every major enterprise level card on the market and Cisco AP's