Help with what channel to hook up hd, cdrw, dvd?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I'm going to get a new mobo, cdrw, dvd, etc. I already have an IBM hard drive. How are most people hooking up all three of these devices when they only have two ide ports on the mobo. BTW I am getting the Epox 8kha+.
TO further complicate things, what if I wanted to add a standard cdrom to the mix. So I'd have the cdrw solely for burning, the dvd for dvd's and the cdrom for music/data, etc. How would I go about that?
de

jcmkk

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
With that motherboard you can only have a total of four IDE devices connected. You wont want to put any other device on a channel with your hard drive, unless you have another hard drive. This will leave you with the ability to connect two more devices. You don't need a cdrom drive in there. It is pointless. So hook your DVD and CDRW drive up on the same channel. There will be two connectors on your IDE cable. connect each device on the same cable. Set one of them as master and one as slave with the jumpers on the back of the drive. That should do it. If you need more IDE channels then you can either buy a PCI card with extras or get a motherboard with raid that can be used as extra IDEs. The SOYO dragon + can, but the MSI K7T266 Pro 2 RU can't.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
Never heard of soyo, I may look into it. ANy other boards out there similar?
So what would happen of I had the cdrw and dvd on the same channel and I wanted to copy cd to cd while I was surfing the internet or listening to mp3's, etc? Would it choke?
de

Demonicon

Oct 30, 2001
You only have two IDE ports on your motherboard, but you can hook up 2 devices to each IDE cable. (make sure you jumper master slave)

This is what I would do>
Primary IDE:
Master:IBM HDD
Slave:Normal CD-Rom

Secondary IDE: (any order here would be OK I believe)
Master: DVD
Slave:CD-RW

This would be best if you use the CD-Rom for DAE

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000

<< This is what I would do>
Primary IDE:
Master:IBM HDD
Slave:Normal CD-Rom

Secondary IDE: (any order here would be OK I believe)
Master: DVD
Slave:CD-RW
>>

Can anyone comment on this? Just want to make sure I'm getting the the best performance possible.
de

MrHelpful

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
You realize that you can use the DVD drive for reading CDs, right? Just seems like a waste of money to me...

With the original three devices, I would have the HD master on CH1, DVD slave on CH1, and CD-RW master on CH2.

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
MrHelpful

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do realize I can use the dvd player as a cdrom drive. It's just that in my current rig (below) I have been using my dvd drive to do all this (copying to hd for burning/music/data/etc.) for a long time and it seems to be getting less reliable and "wearing out".
At first I will just have the dvd and cdrw but I thought later down the line I *might* want to add a regular cdrom to my system.

Thanks again everyone.
de