Help with Vietnam draft

Mar 17, 2005
I did a thorough search on google for the the flawed draft system during Vietnam, but came out with llittle to none credible sources. Wondering if you guys can help me find soem credible articles about the flawed draft system during Vietnam war. thanks

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
'Flawed' draft system? I wouldn't call forcing people to go off to foreign wars to die 'flawed,' I would call it murder.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
But the trouble with a volunteer army is that we are killing off the kind of people who willingly fight and die. Who's going to go to war when we loose all our warrior genes?

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
But the trouble with a volunteer army is that we are killing off the kind of people who willingly fight and die. Who's going to go to war when we loose all our warrior genes?

Hopefully no one. ;)

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
You mean it's not a "choice"?

oh crap.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Dissipate
'Flawed' draft system? I wouldn't call forcing people to go off to foreign wars to die 'flawed,' I would call it murder.

...murder? You gotta be kidding me.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: ntdz

i agree it's hyperbole, but for all the good that draft did it might as well been murder.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

What else would you call putting someone into an extremely dangerous situation against their will?

How about we throw you into a battlezone against your will? If you were killed you wouldn't call that murder?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Our nukes.

MCsommerreid

Jan 3, 2006

What else would you call putting someone into an extremely dangerous situation against their will?

How about we throw you into a battlezone against your will? If you were killed you wouldn't call that murder?

I'd call it paying my debt to society, cept that assumes just wars.

Untill Vietnam the draft was used in relatively "worthy" wars. WW1 to drive back the Germans who were also attacking US shipping lanes , WW2 to drive back Naziism and stop geonicide, and the Korean war by UN request (assuming you agree with the UN, that is).

Actually, Vietnam was one of the US wars with a lower number of deaths. WW1 and WW2 and through extrapolation Korea. The only difference was that so many people didn't want to be involved in Vietnam and the youth were rebelling against their conservative parents.

Just my 2 cents

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

So you're saying the US govt murdered those who died in WW2...the ones that got drafted? That's pure idiocy, no offense.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
So you're saying the US govt murdered those who died in WW2...the ones that got drafted? That's pure idiocy, no offense.

Yep. In fact, the only justifiable war in all of U.S. history was the Revolutionary War against Britain.

Did you know that FDR knew about Pearl Harbor months in advance BTW?

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Yep. In fact, the only justifiable war in all of U.S. history was the Revolutionary War against Britain.

Prove it.

I didn't know saving millions of Jews for extermination and stopping Germany from taking over Europe wasn't justified. We didn't need Pearl Harbor to join the war and be justified in doing so.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: corruptedmage25
I did a thorough search on google for the the flawed draft system during Vietnam, but came out with llittle to none credible sources. Wondering if you guys can help me find soem credible articles about the flawed draft system during Vietnam war. thanks

You came up w/ nothing so maybe you're search is a little biased. Try to be objective and search for the Vietnam-era draft and then see if it was really flawed.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur

http://www.landscaper.net/draft.htm#Sept.%2014%20'Wins'%20Draft%20Lottery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_lottery_(1969)

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cold.war/episodes/13/the.draft/

Yes, but how was it flawed? (I'm curious about this)

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

Prove it.

I didn't know saving millions of Jews for extermination and stopping Germany from taking over Europe wasn't justified. We didn't need Pearl Harbor to join the war and be justified in doing so.

Text

Who is 'we?'

Stopping an attacker is one thing. Stopping an attacker by political (violent) means is another thing altogether.

Were you aware that the U.S. lost a considerable amount of freedom during WWII? Many of those freedoms have never been returned decades after the war. The income tax witholding is just one example. The explosive growth of the military-industrial complex is another good example.

War is the health of the state. It makes perfect sense why the government wants to go to war all the time.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Prove it.

Text

Who is 'we?'

Stopping an attacker is one thing. Stopping an attacker by political (violent) means is another thing altogether.

Were you aware that the U.S. lost a considerable amount of freedom during WWII? Many of those freedoms have never been returned decades after the war. The income tax witholding is just one example. The explosive growth of the military-industrial complex is another good example.

War is the health of the state. It makes perfect sense why the government wants to go to war all the time.

You still haven't explained how it was unjustified to stop the Germans from taking over Europe and killing millions of innocent people in their death camps. How was it not justified to respond to a direct attack by a country? You have to be kidding me...would it have been justified to just lay down our arms and let Japan take us over without a fight? What a whack job...

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Those born later in the year were much more likely to be drafted. It was not a random draw.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

Those born later in the year were much more likely to be drafted. It was not a random draw.

Yeah, but so what? What does it matter if most of the people drafted were from later in the year? What if we said that everyone born from October to December was going to be drafted...is that unfair?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
You still haven't explained how it was unjustified to stop the Germans from taking over Europe and killing millions of innocent people in their death camps. How was it not justified to respond to a direct attack by a country? You have to be kidding me...would it have been justified to just lay down our arms and let Japan take us over without a fight? What a whack job...

I'm not saying it would have been unjustified to stop the Germans from taking over Europe. I'm saying that it it was unjustified to do so through political means i.e. by instituting income taxes and a draft.

That direct attack from Japan was known about for years before it happened. The warmongers in government were overcome with glee when it happened. Not only did they get to go to war but they also got to take away people's freedoms at home permanently.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Yeah, but so what? What does it matter if most of the people drafted were from later in the year? What if we said that everyone born from October to December was going to be drafted...is that unfair?
Uhh....YEAH.

Damn, son.

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

I'm not saying it would have been unjustified to stop the Germans from taking over Europe. I'm saying that it it was unjustified to do so through political means i.e. by instituting income taxes and a draft.

That direct attack from Japan was known about for years before it happened. The warmongers in government were overcome with glee when it happened. Not only did they get to go to war but they also got to take away people's freedoms at home permanently.

I don't think it's unjustified at all, I'll take a small income tax (back then) and a draft in order to stop one of the most evil and threatening countries the world has ever seen...Income tax and a draft was the only way to win the war, otherwise we would have lost miserably.

MCsommerreid

Jan 3, 2006

Or that could have been the way the probability turned out. The process that they drew from slips of paper were about as random as could be. It's kind of wierd that the probability worked out that October and September were beat half to death in the top 10, but entirely possible based on a random draw.

The thing about the draft is that the draw is random, not the results. "Random events occur non-randomly" works out here, with a random draw leading to clumpings of results.