Help with Trapezoidal Rule

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Oh, wait. Have I been doing it right? I mean, four rectangles means 5 points, doesn't it?

Feb 19, 2001
I had this program that let you type in a function, the subdivisions and it would give you the area based on left/right rectangles, midpoint, trapezoidal, and simpson's rule

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Thanks

I looked at an online solution to the problem. The guy did two approximations, one right hand and one left hand, both with 4 points, and then averaged them out. Got the same number. Did he do too much work? Hmm...

Oh, well. I gotta remember this trapezoidal thing. That and mean value theorem are the only 2 things I can't remember.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
Thanks

I looked at an online solution to the problem. The guy did two approximations, one right hand and one left hand, both with 4 points, and then averaged them out. Got the same number. Did he do too much work? Hmm...

Oh, well. I gotta remember this trapezoidal thing. That and mean value theorem are the only 2 things I can't remember.

Without mathing it out, partially because i'm too lazy, its probably just luck that the average of the left- and right-hand approximations averages out to the trapezoid approx.