Help with the -install on win98

mikepeck

Jun 20, 2000
I have tried to run the client as a service on win98 systems using the -install command and then starting it by the -svcstart command. After I do the start, I check the system monitor and the cpu is at 0 percent. This has happened on 4 machines so far. Is there something else I need to do?....

Also, I have gotten it to work on two machines using the same method...

P.S. I have just assimilated 2 PIII 450, 1 PII 400, 1 PIII 600 and am working on a dual G4 500!!, I also just passed 100,000 on DNET!

MWalkden

Golden Member
Dec 7, 1999
Is it giving you the message that it installed the service? Did you try re-booting? Just in case system monitor isn't working, go to the dnet folder and check the times on your buff-in. If they are current and you have just re-booted then the client is running. Also, the client may have to retrieve blocks before it starts chomping CPU power.

Hope this helps!:)

osmo

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2000
mikepeck-

I've had instances where the -svcstart command didn't work for whatever reason also. I just rebooted the machines and all was well.:)
Good Luck!:cool:

Osmo.

[Edit]alignment[/Edit]

mikepeck

Jun 20, 2000
It did give me the message, and the machines have been rebooted. I did check the buff-out... no luck! Please help!

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Did the clients work before you installed them as a service?

I always run the clients visible for a couple of minutes to make sure they can connect to the keyserver and are actually crunching. Then I install them as a service.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Turn on logging. The log file will record all blocks cracked, buffer updates, and most importantly, all client startups.:)

ctll

Sep 28, 2000
it's started when you boot, so why try to start it again? the way i remember it, it won't show up in task manager. been a while.

you could examine your registry (warning don't mess around with registry if you don't know how) and see if it is installed under run services

also, try turning it off with the -shutdown. it will tell you if one shuts down, or if one was not found.(client)