Question Help with old computer and newer monitor

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I hope I'm not breaking any rules. I have an old dell 790 machine. It has a dp video output. I recently was given a newer monitor, an LG27mn60t. This el cheapo monitor has an hdmi input, but no Dp input.

I have not been able to find out if the dell has plain dp, or dp ++

So, I don't know if a plain passive adapter will work, or if only an active converter will make this monitor work

I appreciate any help.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I doubt it has DP++. If it does the logo near the port should indicate that it is ++. If it just has DP then you will need an active adapter.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

OctavioFields

Jan 16, 2024
If you're unsure about your Dell's DP output, maybe start with a basic DP to HDMI adapter. They're usually affordable, and it might just work with your newer monitor. If not, you can explore the active converter route. Best of luck getting your setup sorted!

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Not sure if this will help

Optiplex 790 hdmi cable connection issue​

I cannot connect an hdmi cable into the port. There is only one indent on the left side (upper left in the photo) of the port, which seems really odd to me since this should be a standard form factor / shape.
I tried:
- a different cable. Both cables plug in fine to the hdmi on my laptop.
- pushing really hard
- angling a little either way
Do you have any hints?

A simple answer really. That is not an HDMI port it is a DP (Display Port). You need a DP cable and if your monitor does not have a DP port, then you need an HDMI to DP cable such as here. And do not force an HDMI cable as you could damage the port besides it will not work.

To add to what @JOcean said, video adapters typically only work in one direction. So you need one that's DP(PC)>HDMI(monitor) like the one he linked.

And if you have an add-in video card (not available on 790 Ultra Small Form Factor model), the monitor should be connected to that add-in card, not to the onboard DP. (See images of all 790 form factor models here.)

Ricky.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I tried:

- pushing really hard
- angling a little either way
OMG! Why doesn't the square peg fit in the round hole?

Thank the lord for unanswered prayers. Early on I wanted to have my own electronics fix it shop but ended up getting a job with a big company instead. Thank Christ I never had to deal directly with John Q Public.

Had a kid decide to change a video card in a brand new computer. You know how they latch in place? He just pulled out the card without unlatching it! Tore the PCI-E slot right off the board!! Straightened out the contact wires as the plastic slot came off.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
OMG! Why doesn't the square peg fit in the round hole?

Thank the lord for unanswered prayers. Early on I wanted to have my own electronics fix it shop but ended up getting a job with a big company instead. Thank Christ I never had to deal directly with John Q Public.

Had a kid decide to change a video card in a brand new computer. You know how they latch in place? He just pulled out the card without unlatching it! Tore the PCI-E slot right off the board!! Straightened out the contact wires as the plastic slot came off.
This is the hard part of a PC service / sales shop. People.

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I was store manager for a small PC shop for a while, there were a few customers that were abit hard to deal with

Worst part for was the owner hired 16/17 year olds, they were pretty good but would not take direction

If they got upset because you asked them to do something they did not want to do, they would leave

Ricky.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
I was store manager for a small PC shop for a while, there were a few customers that were abit hard to deal with

Worst part for was the owner hired 16/17 year olds, they were pretty good but would not take direction

If they got upset because you asked them to do something they did not want to do, they would leave

Ricky.
I still group them all in the People category. I've always preferred working alone whenever possible.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER and winr