iblumberg

May 11, 2003
My set up is as follows:

DFI Lanparty PRO875 with the latest (6/5) DFI BIOS
Enermax 365 PS
2x PC3200 DDR (generic) CAS3 @ 400 MHz
Thermaltake Xaser III case
Thermaltake Spark 7+ heat sink / fan

I have tried a P4 2.4c and 2 different P4 2.6c CPUs. With the 2.4c I was able to get the FSB up to 252 MHz with the most relaxed memory timings at 3:2. At higher speeds, Prime95 would fail. I was not satisfied with this given the great success most others were having with the 2.4c. I replaced the 2.4c with a 2.6c on the assumption that it would be easier on the memory and might yield a chip with greater OC head room.

The first 2.6c would not OC above 235 MHz. The second 2.6c goes all the way to 240 MHz, but no higher. All of these results are suspiciously close to 3 GHz. I have trouble believing that 3 different CPUs would all OC to within 100 MHz of each other when they were from different week and different factories.

I have the RAM running at 3, 8, 3, 3 at 3:2 and 2.7V. The CPU is running at 1.50mv above default which is currently reported at 1.63 volts. Raising the voltage does not help, but does cause the CPU to run very hot. I am suspicious of the RAM settings as even with these settings, Sandra reports that my system has greater memory bandwith than its measurement for CL2 DDR3200 on an 875 chipset. I think somehow the RAM is running too fast and since it is cheap RAM, it is not keeping up. I'd prefer not to buy expensive RAM just in case that is not the problem and I don't have any place from which I could borrow it.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

TIA,
Ira