Question Help with new work/gaming chair?

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
Hey all, i'm hoping someone can help me...

So my old PC chair has had it. I'm looking for a replacement Work/PC/Gaming chair. My budget is about £150, but can probably be flexible with price if it's the right chair.

Really, as it's going to be used as a work/ Gaming chair i need a few things:

• Durable
  • Height adjustments
  • Armrests
  • GOOD BACK SUPPORT!
  • Wheels to move about (or be light enough to pick up and carry)
  • Not look childish
TL;DR

I need a new comfy Work chair (for the daytime) and gaming chair (evenings & weekends) that is height adjustable, ~£150 and most importantly of all - something that will help my back.

Thanks in advance
Alisha

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Hey all, i'm hoping someone can help me...

So my old PC chair has had it. I'm looking for a replacement Work/PC/Gaming chair. My budget is about £150, but can probably be flexible with price if it's the right chair.

Really, as it's going to be used as a work/ Gaming chair i need a few things:

• Durable
  • Height adjustments
  • Armrests
  • GOOD BACK SUPPORT!
  • Wheels to move about (or be light enough to pick up and carry)
  • Not look childish
TL;DR

I need a new comfy Work chair (for the daytime) and gaming chair (evenings & weekends) that is height adjustable, ~£150 and most importantly of all - something that will help my back.

Thanks in advance
Alisha

I suggest a lazy-boy recliner.

I have one, and my wife uses a similar leather version. She has used it many hours, both for work, and playing games and on facebook. And, she's not even a millennial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can adjust your position from bolt upright, down to 'laying in bed' or even 'morgue style'

Great for old folks and slackers/millenniums as well.

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
This video could give you a good starting point for what you need. In short, a quality second-hand office chair will serve you better then a new "gaming" chair.
Thanks yeah, it looks like i'm going to have to start searching places like gumtree for a second hand office chair. Hopefully some offices are closing down and will be getting rid of their chairs. I wish i could go in store and have a look/ try, but everything here in the UK is locked down at the moment and shops are closed.

Someone mentioned the corsair T1 or T2 to me once, but they seem a bit pricey and have too much of a sporty design for my needs i think. I did have a look at some of those Mesh style office chairs - they seem comfortable, but i do have some concerns about the durability of the mesh.

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
I suggest a lazy-boy recliner.

I have one, and my wife uses a similar leather version. She has used it many hours, both for work, and playing games and on facebook. And, she's not even a millennial !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can adjust your position from bolt upright, down to 'laying in bed' or even 'morgue style'

Great for old folks and slackers/millenniums as well.

Thanks, this is stuff of dreams!. I live in a relatively small apartment and already have a couch/sofa so i'm not sure if i could even fit another in :D

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
i shopped craigslist for months before finding a decent herman miller aeon for 180, think i told them id give them 20$ extra to make sure wasnt sold before i got there (hour drive away)
My boy uses a lazy-boy office chair and he loves it, nice padding and back support, no idea how much it was new since i bought it off a co worker for 100 and looked like new. just search craigs and ebay and make a shortcut / bookmark and keep checking everyday.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
the hyken or dexley chair is sold under a bunch of names/brand/stores.

its ok for a 150$ chair that sometimes goes for 125$ on special sale. i got one for my mom, the back support is the weakest point but they got the front edge of the seat right(by rounding it down) as that is the part that ends up pinching the back of your legs as the chair wears in. even aerons suffer in this aspect. the adjustability is lackluster but adequate if you are in the right height width range.

Nobece

Mar 11, 2021
the hyken or dexley chair is sold under a bunch of names/brand/stores.

its ok for a 150$ chair that sometimes goes for 125$ on special sale. i got one for my mom, the back support is the weakest point but they got the front edge of the seat right(by rounding it down) as that is the part that ends up pinching the back of your legs as the chair wears in. even aerons suffer in this aspect. the adjustability is lackluster but adequate if you are in the right height width range.

Thanks @gorobei and all others that helped - apologies for the slow replies, life has gotten a bit mad over the past few months.

Alas... I originally found a Riotoro Spitfire gaming chair (£171.60) which looked good ( - not too childish - ) and ticked the boxes however i wasn't sure on if it was genuine as i'd never ordered off this website before. I did actually go for a similar chair to the one posted above, not from staples but from the oddball Ikea instead. It wasn't somewhere i'd thought about initially but a family friend in a similar position recommended it. I toyed between the JÄRVFJÄLLET (£199) and Markus (£179) but honestly, I couldn't tell much - if any, difference between the two. If anything i found the Markus arm rests felt more sturdy, as well as being slightly cheaper. If someone knows the true differences between them other than shape, i'd be grateful.

Overall i'm now over a week into Markus ownership and man, what a difference this makes ladies and gents! My back is no longer in agony, it seems very sturdy, has great adjustability, and is well built. The chair base is faux leather, but it seems very good quality and hard wearing compared to some of the other cheap leather reproductions.

My one concern is/was the durability of the mesh backing. So far this is holding up well and I don't see any problems arising. The back is very breathable, so even if it did suffer some slight wear and tear, it would probably be worth it for a bit of heat control the summer months alone!

Thanks again for all the help
Alisha

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Do not get gaming chairs... they all suck horribly with a few exceptions but those cost well into the 1000 dollar territory like a RECARO.

I have one, thats the only gaming chair i would ever buy.
And no i didnt buy it, it was gifted to me by my brother for my birthday, but its the only gaming chair i have sat in which i have decided to keep.

But RECARO is known to make awesome seats. I used to have one in my rice rocket back in my teenager days.