Help with New Car Price Negotiation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I really don't get why buying new car is so difficult. You contact all dealerships in your immediate area, whether by phone, email, or by physically going in. You give them the town you live in (no need to give full address) so that they can calculate all the local taxes and fees as required by your state/county. Now that they have information required to calculate all the taxes and fees you get them to give you final out the door price. And then you just bid them against each other until they cannot go any lower.

Say you're working with dealers A, B, and C. A gives you 23,500, B gives you 23,700, and C gives you 23,400. You take the lowest quote from C, subtract $100 from it, call dealers A and B and tell them you got a new out the door quote of 23,300 and if they can beat it, or if they cannot beat it can they match it at least. Once you get the new low quote, you go back and repeat the process until the dealers start saying they cannot go any lower - that's when you know you got the lowest price possible. Then, what you do is you call all the dealers with the lowest quote and say hey, I really liked working with you, I got this quote and I'm ready to buy it from you today if you throw in a little extra, like an appearance package, or a homelink mirror, or free oil changes or whatever it is that you can think of. Go for that extra mile if you can.

Dealerships are ruthless. If you want to get a good deal from them you got to be ruthless too. Bidding the dealerships against each other is the only way to guarantee you get the lowest price possible. It's easier too since you don't have to sit at any given dealership for multiple hours playing mind games. If you play that game, you're going to lose as dealerships are experts at that game. Don't be that guy.

Pretty much this. That's why they always say "hey when can you come in so you can sit down and talk". Never do that. They'll grind you down for hours.

May 13, 2009
My advice. Buy a used truck. Don't spend more than 15 to 20k. Save yourself some major money so you can actually use the truck to go places and do things.
If you're wealthy and can buy it cash then don't sweat the small stuff and buy it.

May 13, 2009
And what's with the crazy amount of homework you've obviously done to get the best deal and then at the end you're wasting an enormous amount of money on that truck. Take my advice and save yourself 25k dollars.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I really don't get why buying new car is so difficult. You contact all dealerships in your immediate area, whether by phone, email, or by physically going in. You give them the town you live in (no need to give full address) so that they can calculate all the local taxes and fees as required by your state/county. Now that they have information required to calculate all the taxes and fees you get them to give you final out the door price. And then you just bid them against each other until they cannot go any lower.

Say you're working with dealers A, B, and C. A gives you 23,500, B gives you 23,700, and C gives you 23,400. You take the lowest quote from C, subtract $100 from it, call dealers A and B and tell them you got a new out the door quote of 23,300 and if they can beat it, or if they cannot beat it can they match it at least. Once you get the new low quote, you go back and repeat the process until the dealers start saying they cannot go any lower - that's when you know you got the lowest price possible. Then, what you do is you call all the dealers with the lowest quote and say hey, I really liked working with you, I got this quote and I'm ready to buy it from you today if you throw in a little extra, like an appearance package, or a homelink mirror, or free oil changes or whatever it is that you can think of. Go for that extra mile if you can.

Dealerships are ruthless. If you want to get a good deal from them you got to be ruthless too. Bidding the dealerships against each other is the only way to guarantee you get the lowest price possible. It's easier too since you don't have to sit at any given dealership for multiple hours playing mind games. If you play that game, you're going to lose as dealerships are experts at that game. Don't be that guy.

This is pretty much how TrueCar works.