Help with memory choice

AshPhoenix

Mar 12, 2008
Well, I intend to get an E7200 processor and overclock it, I'd be very satisfied with 400 FSB.

I want to get 4GB of RAM, and I need your help choosing one of these 2 memory sets...

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800

Timing: 5-5-5-18

Apogee GT DDRII 1066 4GB kit PC2 8500 CL=5

Timing: 5-5-5-15

The Apogee memory is more expensive here in my country (Egypt), it costs what equals to $50 more.

Is it worth paying that extra money ? I mean will it be more easy to hit 400FSB with the Apogee memory ? Is the difference in timings worth it ?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The apogee cost meore because its fast. It will also give you more room to work with when OCing. BTW what OS are you running. If its not a 64bit version of XP or Vista then its pointless to have 4 gigs. You would be better of with 2 on a 32bit system.

AshPhoenix

Mar 12, 2008
Originally posted by: mpilchfamily
The apogee cost meore because its fast. It will also give you more room to work with when OCing. BTW what OS are you running. If its not a 64bit version of XP or Vista then its pointless to have 4 gigs. You would be better of with 2 on a 32bit system.

I intend to use 64bit Vista in the near future....

I've seen people say that DDR2 1066 will only be useful if I intend to go higher than 400FSB, what do you think ? also what about the impact of the difference in timings on performance ?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: mpilchfamily
You would be better of with 2 on a 32bit system.

No, but you'd be better off with 2GB on a 16-bit OS. A 32GB Windows XP install will be able to access and use more than 3GB, in most instances, giving all of your 32-bit apps the full 2GB that 32-bit apps can use, instead of forcing them to use the hard drive.

Originally posted by: AshPhoenix
I've seen people say that DDR2 1066 will only be useful if I intend to go higher than 400FSB, what do you think ?

That's correct.

also what about the impact of the difference in timings on performance ?

You'll never notice the difference, unless maybe you're running memory benchmarks, and even then, there isn't much difference.