Question Help with finding best memory for my setup

Gpunique

Oct 30, 2017
Hi everyone. I recently built a new PC and am thinking of upgrading my DDR4 RAM to 32gb. Its always confused me a bit knowing how to understand timings and compatibility and how to tweak for optimal performance. What confuses me is that my mobo supports a big range of RAM speeds, but from my understanding, my CPU limits (or works optimally?) with 3200mhz when using DDR4, which I am. So does that mean I should only look at 3200 speeds or can I buy faster 3600 or 4000mhz? I hope you can help me figure this out and look forward to some recommendations. Here's my current setup:

CPU Intel Core i5-12600K

MOBO ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4 LGA 1700

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit – White (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W) Timings 16-18-18-36

GPU Nvidia 1070, I plan to upgrade to a RX 6700 XT or a RTX 3070 soon

Thoughts on what i should do with RAM:

1) stick with what I have currently.

2) buy another 16gb of the same model

3) buy new 3200mhz ram, if my current could use an upgrade

4) buy new ram in a different mhz speed. I'm open to kit suggestions!

I dont need RGB but I do like the T-Force Xtreem ram and read lots of great reviews.

There's a good sale on their 4000mhz set but its CL 18 and the timings are 18-24-24-46. Isn't that overall slower than what I have? The reviews I read are glowing unless they're comparing faster models which i dont think so. The other options like CL 14 are much more expensive so I'd like to buy the CL18 if that will work well. Speed is great but I don't need ultra crazy fast, I just would like a good setup.

I do have some slowdowns from time to time and available memory can be low so it makes me think 32gb might help. I'm a general PC user who likes to game, not video or graphics design, fyi. Thanks in advance for your thought and helping me sort this out!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
If you're running windows 32gb seems to be the sweet spot. On Linux though I run 16gb since it only needs 4gb usually and that machine is on 24/7. Don't get caught up in the timings and just get a decent set of RAM. Doesn't need to be much more than $100 for 2x16.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
If your running Windows going from 16gb to 32gb might not be much of a difference unless your running out of memory on your work flow.

Like if you have lots of VM's running you could benefit from the increase other wise not so much. My memory usage rarely touches more than 22gb that is with VM's running and other programs up just to see what I can use.

You could get lucky and get same 16gb memory kit and save a bit. You also might benefit more from a nvme ssd drive. With timings I would say outside of benchmarks you probably won't notice any difference.

R81Z3N1