Help with file hosting

Joshjackson

Nov 2, 2016
Lost my old login, but what's up it's been a while! About a decade. Anyways, I've come across a situation. What's the best way to set this up? We have 5 small offices around the country, about 25 people total. They require access to the same hard drive for files that are generated, and uploaded by other users.

One set of files is orders that are generated on a server, and everyone remotes in on hyper v and grabs them and everything they need.

I would like to host all the files so that they are accessible without remote administering, so that they can be seen and edited on phones and personal computers with an access password. Even better would be 2 separate groups of data so some people can only see group 1, but the others could see group 2 and 1.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
An FTP server using SFTP and the AndFTP App sounds like it could fit the bill. Or you could go Cloud and use Amazon S3, Dropbox or Box. There's Google Drive as well.

Filezilla has a free server version. I use it on a netbook who's storage is a 15GB SD card.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would look at setting up a Samba server, then setup VPN and people can VPN in to map the shares. I have not setup samba shares on a phone before but I imagine there's an app for that(tm).

SSH FTP is an option too and easier to setup. I would probably not touch normal FTP now days (unless you combine with VPN), it's not encrypted.

Joshjackson

Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with an sftp with webdrive clients and see how that works for the employees. They will still have the remote access they already have, but I think this will be a lot easier. I'm surprised no router companies have made routers with build in www cloud storage. The closest I've seen is routers with external hard drive support, but that's only shared on the local network.