Help with extremely distracting flickering textures in games?

Monkeor

Jun 21, 2018
First of all, I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this type of issue. >.>

It's essentially a case where textures will begin to flicker heavily and even distort slightly on many models, especially NPCs and the fog overlay when resting at a bonfire in DS3. It's something I had considered a problem with just DS3 at the time, but recently I've seen it happen in both Dead Rising 1 and Nioh, so it seems like something specifically wrong with my setup.

I've updated graphics drivers many times over the time that this has been a problem, and I've also tried installing the game on a second drive with no change. Changing graphics options does nothing to fix it, only quitting and restarting the game will make things look normal... for about 15 minutes. I've seen one person report that a similar-ish problem in Nioh and DS3 both, texture stretching, was fixed via updating the BIOS, but I've also read that that should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Their screenshots also didn't happen to exactly match what was happening to me. What should I do to try and diagnose the issue?

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I’m not sure I’ll be able to help, but it would be helpful to know exactly what hardware you’re running. You might have it in a signature, but I’m on mobile and can’t see it if it’s there.

Monkeor

Jun 21, 2018
Ah, right, I really ought to have thought to include that. I hope this covers it.

Windows 10
i7-4790k processor
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Updating BIOS makes no sense IMO, I wonder if they did something else at the same time. That said, it's pretty safe these days to update the BIOS, I wouldn't worry if I thought it was worth a shot.

My first thought would be to reduce any overclocks back to stock settings if you have any.

Monkeor

Jun 21, 2018
No overclocking at all, as far as I'm aware. I bought this system as a custom build from CyberPower PC; is there any way for retailers to pre-overclock things? It was a good few years ago, and I don't recall if there was such an option back when I bought it. If so, how should I go about checking?

Ah, and thanks all for the continued help, of course.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Have you monitored the temps? Blown the dust out of the case? If this is an issue that only started recently, then maybe it was a new driver that CAUSED your problem. You can also try re-seating the video card (although I suspect the problems would be more severe than what you're seeing, but it's easy to do).

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
MSI Afterburner will let you monitor temps, and underclock that GPU.

Monkeor

Jun 21, 2018
Ah, my bad, I went ahead and did some testing with CAM instead, as I hadn't seen that post yet, and found that my GPU stays pretty much pinned at 81 C, and my CPU stays around 69 C with a peak at 74 C. I had a small warning from the software about the GPU's temp while playing. I also noticed that by the time the texture flickering appeared, which was about an hour into playing Nioh, there wasn't any difference in the temperatures of either compared to before the glitching happened. Despite the flickering appearing without relation to changes in the temperatures, could the heat still be the issue? Are these temperatures something I should be concerned with?