help with ethernet cable

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
i dont understand the differences, i'm trying to find some more ethernet wire to plug into my router for a comcast cable connection.

looking online, i'm not sure what i'm looking for, there is CAT/CAT5/Cat5e/CAT6???

i'm assuming ethernet wire is called CAT?? or is that something else, i dont know what kind to get.
i tried searching for ethernet cable/wire on newegg.com but turns up nothing

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
CAT5 is fine for most applications. CAT5e will allow you to go longer distances and tends to be more common now. CAT6 is for high speed applications. Much higher than you would get from Comcast.

Cl1ckm3

Jan 30, 2008
so the plugs from all those fit into my router though right?
i'll need one to be at least 30 feet...so CAT5e?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Comcast cable does not connect to your router directly. It connects to your cable modem by coax cable, not CAT anything. Then from your modem, you connect by CAT to your router, and then to subsequent systems/devices, etc.

C/H is correct - Comcast cable is designed for CAT5 between the modem and router. Any CAT cable quality above 5 would only be useful in the circumstances he describes. But, the higher end cables are backward compatible.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The plugs on all of the different types are RJ45. The variations in designation involve their construction materials.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
With a small network with the limited distance (yes even 30ft is a short distance) you are fine with whatever is the cheapest even if its plain ole' cat5