Help with dvd playback 5850

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Well I am having some struggles here. The video quality off this 5850 is nothing short of terrible. I am using windows 7 64bit and playing with windows media. My 8800gts gave me excellent video quality. This card does not. When I waltch a dvd 100% is tiny. So when I double click for fullscreen it is terribly grainy and a bit blurry. I tried using vlc, but it really hates this card and gives me all kinds of graphical anomolies. I really want to be able to watch dvds again, but they look so bad. I am hoping that this is not just the way ATIs video playback is.. cause that would be a deal killer for me.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
Shouldn't need to install any codecs just to watch a stinkin DVD with good quality.

I'd put my sites squarely on ATI's drivers.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Wow this graininess is driving me nuts. I have been researching hours and the only solution most have found is to chuck the ati card and go back to nvidia. However, if video playback was that poor I would suspect review sites would say something. BTW I am talking about dvd SD video.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Shouldn't need to install any codecs just to watch a stinkin DVD with good quality.

I'd put my sites squarely on ATI's drivers.
Indeed. Does video quality bad when playing DVD using WMP as well?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Can you post a screenshot?

Watching dvds on my 24" with about 2ft viewing distance isn't the prettiest thing. At 5ft its better but still nothing compared to HD material.

I would suggest trying MPC Home Cinema. I use it as the default player for all my videos. If you're still having issues then uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
Well I would make sure all Nvidia drives are completely uninstalled and then uninstall the ATI drivers and reinstall the latest ones.