Help with bridge wifi setup.

imported_ROTOR

May 5, 2008
First of all thanks for the great work yo do.

I'm moving to a new house, it's not my house its one that I rent.

I need to create and isolate from the rest of the house a new network, the main for wife and kids stuff and the other one to my Office. I can't use Ethernet, to join the routers o use plc (electric installation it's not good).

Let me show you I think that will work for me.

ksrOUwG.jpg

Connect a "router 2" has a client of main router. And the isolate "network 2" of the rest of the home network, all equipment needs to be accessible between themselves and Internet but invisible of the main network.

Questions:

- What is the best way to do it?

- Did you recomment one router for this?

- Exists any router with two independent wifi card one for connect and another for serve wifi? I not sure that is necessary or will improve quality.

Probably friend could give me a "ASUS RT-AC66U"

Thanks and sorry for my bad English

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
New home is prime time to wire up. The Internet is not going away and a true home office where true business is done MUST be wired for many reasons. Mostly reliability and security.

imported_ROTOR

May 5, 2008
I wish I can, but it's not my home, it's a rent one, only for a 18 month max, it's is a "semi protected antique house" and I can't wire anithing :cry:.

Mi wife rent it because it ś cheap, temporal, and it is near from the school and the wife work.

My only option it is wifi :sob:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'd run a wire along the baseboards or something, you're not going to get what you want with wifi only.

imported_ROTOR

May 5, 2008
If I do any modification in the house, the owner had the right to kit me out in a month, then my wife kill me :mad:,

I'm "screwed" I Know :(.

Wifi it is the only way, I'm think to use the router as Client + Router from wired things and attach an extra AP lto one of lan ports to create the second wifi zone :sweatsmile:.

Edit: Or use a computer with linux and Iptables to do all the stuff

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
My vote is everything on the same network

Router upstairs as bridge

Separate networks using vlans

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thre is no coax run for TV? You can try moca if there is coax.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got a similar setup, only I'm not spanning floors, just across rooms. I've been using an AC68R (same hardware as AC68U), running Shibby Tomato 138. Then in the other room, I have a TrendNet AC1200 wireless bridge, which I use to connect my secondary wired LAN. I can wire them both together, but that means stringing a wire across a doorway, which is a hazard. So I prefer using a 5Ghz AC wireless bridge.

I recently embarked on a quest to improve my speeds, because the AC1200 is only 2x2, whereas the main router is 3x3, I think.

So I've ordered another pair of AC68R routers, refurbed off of Newegg on ebay for ~$80 ea. I paid $110 or $120 for the first one, refurb.

Those seem like a remarkable deal in routers, especially ones that run multiple firmwares. Might want to check into it.

Superl8

May 26, 2017
I had an identical situation to you. I also had an old unused router and installed dd-wrt on it. Look into this. You essentially configure the router as you wireless card. Not easy but you're clearly nerdy enough to ask

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index check out the supported router database. "G" speed will work fine and can be found used for free-$5 . You perform a hard reset of the router the load the new operating firmware. Turn a simple consumer router into a highly configurable monster router. There are tutorials on the linked site to get you there.

You can then plug your computer in and a printer.. whatever.

I found it challenging to do though. Lots of configuration to sift and sort through.

Last edited: