Help with a router..

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Ok, i had this linksys router for about 2 years, so im pretty good with networking. The problem is my brothers computer (origionally connected to a campus network) will not pick up the network connection at all. i set it so it obtains the I.P automatically and still nothing. It says its connected to a totally different ip then what the router assigns it. I had it working earlier, but now decides to crap out when im setting up a shared network (transfer files between the computers on the network). i even tried system restore so its before i was tryiong to set up the shared networking. All it gives me is "Limited to no connectivity". Can any one help me as this is driving me nuts...

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
The "different" IP you're getting starts with 169? If you can't ipconfig /renew and get an IP from the router then I'd check your cables, check if DHCP service is running on that computer and then check to see if that particular port works with your other computers just to rule out a bad port on that router.

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
The "different" IP you're getting starts with 169? If you can't ipconfig /renew and get an IP from the router then I'd check your cables, check if DHCP service is running on that computer and then check to see if that particular port works with your other computers just to rule out a bad port on that router.

actually it was. ill try that, thanks.

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Ok, network is majorly messed. When i Try to connect directly (PPPOE) it gives me the right ip, but looking at the LAN connection (on at the same time) it gives a 16x.xxx.xxx.xxx . Looking at the ipconfig /renew. It says that it cannot find the DHCP server or something like that. It took 15 minutes (and 2 system restores) to get this to just connect directly. i think i smell a format coming...