Question Help with a new netgear nighthawk X4S (R7800) router

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I cant get this ah heck to work properly :(.

Hope some network wiz can help me out plz? :)
So my old dlink router was showing signs of aging and last know firmware update was .... too long ago (signs of aging = needs rebooting from time to time).
Anyway, I have fiber and have an router (not controlled by me) installed from the ISP, its a modem/router combo, packetfront-something, its NOT a known brand. Anyway, this router has 4 RJ45's out for 3x tv boxes and one for internet. According to the manual you can either connect directly to this one(ethernet) port or put your own router behind it. That is what people do, attach their own router to this one port and rock their own wifi, lan, etc.
Its also what I have been doing with the dlink, simple DHCP and the dlink router would pull an ip and everything was plug'n play.
(special note here, I pay a little extra to have a fixed IP address, cause sometimes I host some web-dev stuff)

Already here is something I dont quite understand.
So my global IP is X1. When I hook up my dlink router to the packetfront device, DHCP client, the IP the dlink router gets is the same, X1! I would have thought that it would get 192.168.x.x from the packetfront device, but no.
Can anyone spot whats going on here? (this may be elementary, please bear with me).

Anyway, pulling the cable from the dlink and inserting it into the nighthawk == Orange led, cant communicate with the packetfront router (DHCP). It simply tells me to check the cables and try and reboot the devices. I go through all the hoops, wizards, find network, configure automaticly etc.
Its a no-go on all fronts.

Now I take the information from the dlink router (that it pulled from DHCP), IP, gateway, subnetmask, DNS servers and enter them manually / static on the nighthawk. Boom, led turns green, the administration page for the nighthawk router turns from "NO INTERNET" to "CONNECTION:GOOD" and all suddenly looks like everything is working
But its not.
(if you are wondering how I connect to the nighthawk admin page, its via wifi, its pr. the manual).
Nothing works, nothing connects to anything outside my house, in fact pinging anything outside yields "Destination host unreachable." (tried from multiple devices, whom be speaking with the nighthawk just fine, gotten an IP and everything 192.168.1.z ... but no dice getting outside the house.

"Destination host unreachable." screams subnetmask configuration error to me, but everything is 255.255.255.0

Does this compute to someone else out there? :).

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Pass the Isp Router the additional boxes/Routers have to be configured with a Static IP of the same IP range.

The additional Wireless Router have to be configured as an Access Point.

Using Wireless Routers (or Modem/Wireless Router) as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Pass the Isp Router the additional boxes/Routers have to be configured with a Static IP of the same IP range.

The additional Wireless Router have to be configured as an Access Point.

Using Wireless Routers (or Modem/Wireless Router) as a Switch with an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

:cool:
I read the documentation and according to that it was a clear case of "router behind a router" setup, so that is what I did. However during my frantic googling I have actually come upon your suggestion somewhere in that mess too.
Ill give it a try. Thanks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder if the "packetfront" device, with the "internet" port, allowing DHCP pass-through, is actually doing transparent bridging, on that port, to the WAN, and also allowing the TV device ports, access somehow (IPv6?), much like some VOIP devices work.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I wonder if the "packetfront" device, with the "internet" port, allowing DHCP pass-through, is actually doing transparent bridging, on that port, to the WAN, and also allowing the TV device ports, access somehow (IPv6?), much like some VOIP devices work.
Ah, is that what its doing!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Also, much appreciation for your comments, Ill have time tomorrow to get around to trying your suggestions.

Again. Thanks!

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
List model name/number of your fiber modem/router, and dlink router.

Without correct info, everyone can only guess.