Help with 9700k OC

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hey gang. Well into my 9700k OC'ing shenanigans here but stuck on something. Currently running 5.3 all cores @ 1.375 V (adaptive), AVX offset of 4.

When I run LinX or Prime my temps max out in the mid 60's, but the proc wont stay at 5300. It gets up there but then blips down frequently to the low 4000's. I know it's not thermal throttling because I am not seeing any cores hitting anything over 70C. Any ideas?

Rig in sig.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) may provide you some insight... The monitoring mode will indicate if you experience thermal/ power limit/ current throttling as well as indicate many of the pertinent settings.

I would initially suspect that you are down clocking due to exceeding the post tau power limit (Turbo Boost Power Max), which would not be a failure but an intended mode of operation from intel that can be overridden.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/66427/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
So it is current limit throttling. What do you suggest I do? Turned current limit up to 140% and no change. Seems like the proc has more headroom. Temps are beautiful. Also was happening at lower speeds as well.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Turned current limit up to 140% and no change. Seems like the proc has more headroom. Temps are beautiful. Also was happening at lower speeds as well.
You board may also have a further BIOS limitation, my MSI Z370M used to throttle down on AVX code up until MSI released a BIOS fix 2 months later.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm. I've gone through all of the guides and videos. I have removed all power limit restrictions - literally maxed out everything on the CPU power delivery area, downclocked to 5.0 and still current throttling...

At this point I suspect I may need to return the motherboard and try a different brand. Anyone else there with a Maximus XI Hero noticing this issue?

Last edited:

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Hmm. I've gone through all of the guides and videos. I have removed all power limit restrictions - literally maxed out everything on the CPU power delivery area, downclocked to 5.0 and still current throttling...

At this point I suspect I may need to return the motherboard and try a different brand. Anyone else there with a Maximus XI Hero noticing this issue?

CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max = 255.75, Long Duration Package Power Limit = 4095, Short Duration Package Power Limit = 4095?

If it is throttling with those settings, then it is due to CPU or VRM overheating.

Reactions: Drazick

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yup. All those are maxed out. Working through slowly to see exactly at what point the current limit throttling kicks in. I just don't really understand this. Never had a proc that hit a current limit before a temp limit. Read a bunch of reviews on this mobo and people seem to be able to hit much higher frequencies - 5.3 and up without any VRM issues.

They are professional reviews, although they do not specify if they were actually checking for current throttling. Perhaps they weren't? I can easily set this to 5300 all cores and run all day, but not without tons of current limiting. Could the reviewers have missed this?

Mar 10, 2006
Hey gang. Well into my 9700k OC'ing shenanigans here but stuck on something. Currently running 5.3 all cores @ 1.375 V (adaptive), AVX offset of 4.

When I run LinX or Prime my temps max out in the mid 60's, but the proc wont stay at 5300. It gets up there but then blips down frequently to the low 4000's. I know it's not thermal throttling because I am not seeing any cores hitting anything over 70C. Any ideas?

Rig in sig.

It's thermal throttling, either due to VRM overheating (this was common on X299 systems) or CPU overheating.

You're probably going to want to back down on that OC.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well I reset everything in BIOS and started over. Something seems to have stuck because I am now up to 5200 @ 1.375 stable and no throttling. Temps maxing out in low 70s C. Gonna keep pushing.

If I go per-core OC, how many and which cores should I do? And which ones?

Last edited:

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
What cooling solution do you have?

His sig says it's HSF Corsair H110i.

If you really want to push the processor, I'd switch it out for a custom liquid solution. However, If you got 5.3Ghz out of the processor, you're doing well as I've read reports that they don't O/C that well.[/quote]

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
5.3 GHz is really good for a 9700k. Hell 5.2 GHz is nearing the limit of the uarch/process on air/AiO cooling. I would be very surprised if you were getting throttling from VRM overheat . . .

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Well I finally backed down to 5.1 all cores. I could get 5.2 all-core (5.3 x 2 core) stable on everything except longer Prime runs. Even pushing the volts up to 1.45 could not get that Prime stable 5.2 all cores so I figured the difference wasn't going to be big enough to warrant the extra heat and instability.

Oh and BTW, the original issue was not thermal throttling, it was current limit throttling. The ASUS boards default to 95W to keep in spec. I had to remove all limits to get that to stop.