help with 1080p gaming

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i just got a sceptre 37" 1080p that has so far been great. still working some things out as i'm a noob with this stuff. :eek:

anyway, i popped in medieval2 and in the resolution settings, 1920x1080 was available. so i selected that and everything looked great except for the fact that the image was too big for the screen. meaning approx. a 1" border was cut off, like half the mini-map, or the "back buttons in menus.

is there something i'm doing wrong or something i should be doing but am not?

i checked at WSGF's but i didn't find much help there. any other resources?

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Make sure any ZOOM settings are turned off in the TVs settings. You want it to display the native image size. What connection are you using between your computer and TV? VGA/DVI/HDMI?

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
thanks for the reply. i am running dvi ->hdmi. i had the tuner set 16:9, no zoom so i thought it should work fine :confused:

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
make sure the image is your native size for the LCD, it might be off for some reason. Also , try turning off the 16:9 on your tv...not sure, mine you just play with the zoom, and its fine.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Also, if that TV has multiple HDMI/DVI inputs, it may be that only one of them is fully 1080p capable. The older 37" Westy I had was like that. It had two DVI inputs; but only one would result in a perfectly fit 1920x1080 image. The other DVI input resulted in what you describe.

Even if you have just one input, look in your owners manual to see what resolution it's capable of. The TV may be 1080p but not all the inputs have to be, so you never know.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
It sounds like an overscan issue. I don't know anything about your 8800's drivers, but some nVidia drivers I've messed with allow for very intracate resolution and timing tweaks that can assist you in getting a perfect 1:1 pixel output. I would highly recommend that you visit the AV Science forum and make a post regarding your exact display model number and graphics card driver. That TV is pretty popular and I'm sure someone there can hold you hand through it... hopefully. Good luck,

www.avsforum.com

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've heard issues with HDMI on a lot of HDTVs not outputting "properly" when connected to a PC. My 32" westy is connected through VGA, (well, DVI out on 8800 but only VGA in or HDMI in on westy), and has perfect resolution.