Help wiring a dual power supply amp with a DC Jack.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Not sure if any electronics gurus here can help me but I am going to give it a shot.

I want to run my amp on both battery power and wall power.

I have a closed circuit DC jack. It has 3 lugs. Two lugs seem to be connected to each other and the barrel. One is connected to the center. You can find the schematics here:

Closed Circuit DC Jack

I know my plug is positive center.

I also am using two 9v batteries so I have two sets of positive and negative wires.

My board has 4 points. V +-/ and M+/-. The V is self explanatory and the M are midpoint. If I was using only battery power, I would wire + from battery strap A to V+ and - to the M-. Then with the second battery strap, run - to the V- and + to the M+. I have done this before and it works.

But how do I introduce the DC jack into the equation and how do I wire the three lugs?

Let me know if you can help.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
sounds like your amp requires a +/-9V battery setup, but I'm a bit confused with your description. The DC plug is unipolar, so you wouldn't be able to run a bipolar supply using it.

Did I miss something? You did say that you ran it with batteries just fine, but did you try to wire it with the DC wall adaptor? If so, how was it wired with respect to the voltages it generated.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Hey yellowfiero - Thanks for replying. I am actually listening to the amp as we speak. I cannot answer your question specifically because I don't really know anything about electronics. But I can tell you how I wired the amp.

Here is a diagram - Amp Wiring

It uses 2 x 9V or an AC adapter. The jack is closed circuit so when something is plugged in, it uses wall power. And when something is not plugged in, it uses the batteries. Cool huh?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
okay, I see, looks like when the plug is 'in' from the wall, it disconnects the battery and uses line power. It is not bipolar, it needs 18VDC.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Yup, so the 2x9V works. Actually it can run on one 9v just fine. I don't think it requires that much.