Help which type of cpu to buy. K or non k?

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
Hey im trying to decide between 8700 and 8700k and not sure if i will benefit for the k version if i dont want to overclock past the max turbo speed of 4.6ghz of 8700. 4.6 max is perfect for me i dont need any more than that so dunno if any benefit from getting k version as lower tdp and price is nice.
I dont really understand how turbo boost works, will 8700 be able to utalize all cores at 4.6ghz?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Hey im trying to decide between 8700 and 8700k and not sure if i will benefit for the k version if i dont want to overclock past the max turbo speed of 4.6ghz of 8700. 4.6 max is perfect for me i dont need any more than that so dunno if any benefit from getting k version as lower tdp and price is nice.
I dont really understand how turbo boost works, will 8700 be able to utalize all cores at 4.6ghz?
You won't be able to overclock the 8700. It will not go past 4.3 for 6 cores.

Reactions: Crono

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
You won't be able to overclock the 8700. It will not go past 4.3 for 6 cores.

So 4.6 can only boosts 8700 only few cores. 4.3 on all cores is also good. Reading now turbo boost works by providing short bursts of this auto boost (overclock) depending on load. Is there setting in windows or bios that can say have all 6 cores running at 4.3 ghz constantly?

Thanks

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So 4.6 can only boosts 8700 only few cores. 4.3 on all cores is also good. Reading now turbo boost works by providing short bursts of this auto boost (overclock) depending on load. Is there setting in windows or bios that can say have all 6 cores running at 4.3 ghz constantly?

Thanks
All 6 cores will run at 4.3 under load when required with Windows set to balanced power. You don't need to set anything else for that to happen. Having all 6 cores run at 4.3 (Win High Performance) all the time would just waste power and money and provide no measurable performance increase over letting Speedstep/Turbo do it's thing.

Reactions: Scopus

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
All 6 cores will run at 4.3 under load when required with Windows set to balanced power. You don't need to set anything else for that to happen. Having all 6 cores run at 4.3 (Win High Performance) all the time would just waste power and money and provide no measurable performance increase over letting Speedstep/Turbo do it's thing.

So if im running an application that always requires say 4.3 to run smoothly the 8700 cpu will stay turbo boosted at 4.3? Just reading turbo boost does "short bursts" got me worried as i need the cpu sometimes to run a heavy application that needs a high clock constantly.

Thanks

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
So if im running an application that always requires 4.3 to run smoothly the cpu will stay boosted at 4.3? Just reading turbo boost does "short bursts" got me worried as i need the cpu sometimes to run a heavy appliaction that needs the 4.3 constantly.

Thanks

You can run at 4.3GHz all the time if you want. On Balanced power mode it will run at that for as long as needed, and on High Performance it will run at 4.3 (mimimum on all cores) all the time, which like LTC8K6 said can waste power (I'll admit I have mine on High Performance, but idling the power draw isn't high, anyway). If all 6 cores aren't being used, it will turbo as high as 4.6GHz for a single core, 4.5 for two cores, 4.4 for three cores, and 4.3 for more than that (see this handy turbo chart from the AnandTech Coffee Lake review).

So running a multithreaded application (e.g. video transcoding with HandBrake) for a long period of time you will run at 4.3GHz just fine on all cores, the turbo won't stop/drop suddenly.

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So if im running an application that always requires say 4.3 to run smoothly the 8700 cpu will stay turbo boosted at 4.3? Just reading turbo boost does "short bursts" got me worried as i need the cpu sometimes to run a heavy application that needs a high clock constantly.

Thanks
Yes, it will stay at 4.3 for your heavy application.

If you are worried, you can always monitor the clock speed with any of several available programs, and see what's going on with the cores.
The 8700K does not come with a cooler, BTW. The 8700 does.

Reactions: Scopus and Crono

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
You can run at 4.3GHz all the time if you want. On Balanced power mode it will run at that for as long as needed, and on High Performance it will run at 4.3 (mimimum on all cores) all the time, which like LTC8K6 said can waste power (I'll admit I have mine on High Performance, but idling the power draw isn't high, anyway). If all 6 cores aren't being used, it will turbo as high as 4.6GHz for a single core, 4.5 for two cores, 4.4 for three cores, and 4.3 for more than that (see this handy turbo chart from the AnandTech Coffee Lake review).

So running a multithreaded application (e.g. video transcoding with HandBrake) for a long period of time you will run at 4.3GHz just fine on all cores, the turbo won't stop/drop suddenly.
Thanks so in that case i gues there is 0 reason to get k version if say i wanted to run all cores at no more than 4.3ghz. Guessing it should also run cooler than k version at these clocks due to lower tdp.
Curious what would perform better balanced or high performance mode

Thanks

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What is your application?

If it really will load 6 cores 100% of the time then Ryzen, Xeon or intel HEDT might work better.

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, if you need cores, why stop at 6?
Im getting it in a clevo laptop since i need mobile use. So this is as powerful as it gets in a laptop. Also reason why not looking to overclock. The cooling is not suffucient enough to provide good temperatures on high overclocks and will likely throttle under load. I will be delidding it as well to try keep it as cool as possible.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Im getting it in a clevo laptop since i need mobile use. So this is as powerful as it gets in a laptop. Also reason why not looking to overclock. The cooling is not suffucient enough to provide good temperatures on high overclocks and will likely throttle under load. I will be delidding it as well to try keep it as cool as possible.

will that void warranty? It is up to you but I would just re apply the thermal paste to preserve warranty.

The Clevo should be able to sustain 4.3 GHz on all 6 cores at really low temps as long as the GPU is not under load. If the GPU is under max load, expect temps to be in the 80's (C).

Aug 11, 2008
Laptops are available with Coffee Lake six core desktop chips? Didn't know that. Maybe the other posters are right that the chips will maintain all core turbo, but will cooling be sufficient for that in a laptop?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Laptops are available with Coffee Lake six core desktop chips? Didn't know that. Maybe the other posters are right that the chips will maintain all core turbo, but will cooling be sufficient for that in a laptop?

DTR's are made for overclocking. Have you tried it? They are amazing at it! Just make sure the thermal paste is properly applied! They can even handle old 45nm 8 core Xeon's and Ryzen's with OC.

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017

Clevo is the only company now making coffee lake desktop cpu laptops. These i believe will be the most powerful laptops in production. From what i read on their previous kaby lake generation laptops, they are quite capable of running high end desktop cpus but dont cool as well as desktops. if you plan on doing high overclocking they can get quite hot and a delid might be needed to keep cool depending on model and parts. If will maintain all core turbo stock i think should be good but need to wait till i get mine and test to be sure

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
will that void warranty? It is up to you but I would just re apply the thermal paste to preserve warranty.

The Clevo should be able to sustain 4.3 GHz on all 6 cores at really low temps as long as the GPU is not under load. If the GPU is under max load, expect temps to be in the 80's (C).

Most likely it will , but im concerned for lifespan of laptop. since i need for heavy cpu intensive work, it might constantly be producing much heat, which think might give laptop a lower lifespan vs the at least 10 degree improvement through a delid. I will test before delid to see how good cools stock though. to preserve lifespan also why think might be better getting non k version and not overclock. Sounds like though ur familiar with clevo, what kind of system and results u encounter?

Thanks

Last edited:

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
Are they out yet? I might be interested in getting one.
No, only preorder. I believe midnovember should be available

Most Recommended resellers i read about:
Us:
Hidevolution
Eurocom
Rjtech
Avadirect
Europe:
Obsidian pc
Xmg

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Most likely it will , but im concerned for lifespan of laptop. since i need for heavy cpu intensive work, it might constantly be producing much heat, which think might give laptop a lower lifespan vs the at least 10 degree improvement through a delid. I will test before delid to see how good cools stock though. to preserve lifespan also why think might be better getting non k version and not overclock. Sounds like though ur familiar with clevo, what kind of system and results u encounter?

Thanks

Clevo sells their chassis to many OEM's. It is absolutely best to buy directly from them as they are the leaders in DTR's. I wouldn't be too concerned about temps as long as they are below ~85 degrees C under sustained load. These laptops are made to sustain high temps for a long time. You will also be able to customize your fan profile so the laptop is loud but cool.

You will only creep into the 80's when the GPU is under heavy load with the CPU. If you are only taxing the CPU, you will be able to overclock and the 8700k may be worthwhile. If you plan on gaming, I would opt for the 8700 as 4.3 GHz under heavy GPU load will be pretty warm.

Keep in mind most of these DTR's throttle around 90 C (they share the same heat pipes as the GPU). I would not be concerned about the lifespan at all. They can take the heat.

You can also download ThrottleStop to fine tune your clocks under load or even undervolt the CPU via Intel XTU. You will be able to easily manage temps and your CPU/GPU will last far longer than you plan on keeping the laptop delid or not.

Scopus

Nov 6, 2017
Clevo sells their chassis to many OEM's. It is absolutely best to buy directly from them as they are the leaders in DTR's. I wouldn't be too concerned about temps as long as they are below ~85 degrees C under sustained load. These laptops are made to sustain high temps for a long time. You will also be able to customize your fan profile so the laptop is loud but cool.

You will only creep into the 80's when the GPU is under heavy load with the CPU. If you are only taxing the CPU, you will be able to overclock and the 8700k may be worthwhile. If you plan on gaming, I would opt for the 8700 as 4.3 GHz under heavy GPU load will be pretty warm.

Keep in mind most of these DTR's throttle around 90 C (they share the same heat pipes as the GPU). I would not be concerned about the lifespan at all. They can take the heat.

You can also download ThrottleStop to fine tune your clocks under load or even undervolt the CPU via Intel XTU. You will be able to easily manage temps and your CPU/GPU will last far longer than you plan on keeping the laptop delid or not.

I thought need to buy from reseller. How U can buy directly from clevo?
Im only taxing cpu not gpu, and if u say can overclock all cores say above 4.3 with good temps thinking now might get k version. If in case it does run hot or loud which also concerned about and want to underclock, any idea if a k 95tdp cpu underclocked to non k specs run as cool and lower the tdp same like the non k 65tdp cpu?
Btw i believe on these new laptops will no longer be shared cpu/gpu cooling design.

Thanks

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
High Performance it will run at 4.3 (mimimum on all cores) all the time, which like LTC8K6 said can waste power (I'll admit I have mine on High Performance, but idling the power draw isn't high, anyway).
FYI having the CPU run at max clocks does not necessarily mean high idle power consumption, it all depends on C-State support / settings. If C-State support is active then cores are spending over 99% of their time being power gated, and reported idle package power for 8700(K) is about 2W or lower. (the cores report being at 4.3Ghz because that was the last frequency they were at before entering sleep, and that's the frequency they will wake up at)

Nowadays is very easy to check this, just use HWiNFO64 and look for C-State Residency reporting in the Sensors window.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I thought need to buy from reseller. How U can buy directly from clevo?
Im only taxing cpu not gpu, and if u say can overclock all cores say above 4.3 with good temps thinking now might get k version. If in case it does run hot and need to underclock, any idea if a k 95tdp cpu underclocked to non k specs run as cool and lower the tdp same like the non k 65tdp cpu?
Btw i believe on these new laptops will no longer be shared cpu/gpu cooling design.

Thanks

You are right, you technically cannot buy from Clevo directly as they will not offer you a warranty or support. Sager is probably the closest, but honestly, I would just find the Clevo model that fits your use case, then find the boutique seller that offers the cheapest and best warranty of that model. I always mix up Sager and Clevo...

I'm not sure where you live, but in my area, Origin PC offers great prices, but I hate dealing with them overall. I honestly hate dealing with all of them, but Clevo themselves know how to make a good laptop so just find the best price. It is all Clevo underneath the branding.

When I say sharing CPU/GPU cooling design I misspoke I guess. Even if they don't share the EXACT same heat pipes, the GPU will warm up the chassis and nearby CPU pipes enough to really make a difference. It really depends on which Clevo model you get and how thin you want it. There are so many now it gets really hard to keep track.

I mention Origin PC as they were kind enough to send the service manuals of all of their Clevo re branded notebooks so I could really know how to take them apart. I thought that was great tech support, but they offer no 6 core Coffee Lake right now.

Each Clevo is way different in taking apart. You really should do your research on which is best for you. It is overwhelming.

edit: You can easily underclock your CPU and it will act just like the 65w model. You can downclock to 4.0 GHz and your temps will be dramatically lower. It is really all about the voltage stepping. Some Clevo Resellers Pre-Overclock their K CPU's. This means they will come with a very high voltage out of the box. I would avoid that right now. As long as your BIOS supports voltage control you are set.

I always change my clockspeeds on the fly on my laptop using ThrottleStop. I have no need for more than 2 GHz most of the time, so my temps are absurdly low. But when I do, click max OC, and I am ready to go. The i7-8700(k) will be a very fast CPU even at low clocks.

Last edited: