Help Setting Up Rivatuner

mwalt2

May 1, 2004
I'm overclocking my 8800 GT with Rivatuner. I'd like to have the OC settings only running during 3D applications (ie games). I am running Vista x64 and have the latest version of Rivatuner. I have set two custom overclocking profiles - one as Default and one OC'd. I have added each to the Launcher and can set them by right clicking the icon in the system tray. What setting do I need to change to get Rivatuner to switch to OC profile in 3D and Default in 2D (or low-power 3D if that's normal Vista UI)? I'm sure this is a simple answer, but I haven't been able to find anything that works with my searches. Thanks.

*edit - After more searching and reading, it looks like Rivatuner can't automatically detect 2D/3D modes with 8800 series cards. Oh well :D

zorrt

Sep 12, 2005
This is a work around or something like that. It will load your overclocked profile when a 3D application is running and return to stock profile when application is closed.

You're almost there. Once you have you 2 profiles and added them into launcher:

- Go to "Hardware Monitoring"
- Click on "Setup"
- Under "Data Sources" check "Hardware Acceleration"
- Click the "Setup" button to set the settings for "Hardware Acceleration"
- Click the green "+" icon

Hardware acceleration threshold name: (whatever you want to call it)
value(): I put mine as 0.5
Minimum threadhold crossing period(ms): I put mine as 500
Treat missing hardware acceleration as: dunno what this is but I put 0
Launch "item" on upward threshold crossing: your overclocked profile
Launch "item" on downward threshold crossing: your stock profile

- Click "OK" to save settings

Now on the monitor there should be a new monitor called "Hardware Acceleration". Next to the title theres a little icon that looks like a gear. Click on that to launch the "Rivatuner Statistics Server" application. You will need this running for the "Hardware acceleration" plugin to work. it should now appear on your system tray. If you right click it and select setup, it will open up a window where you can enable it to "Run at Windows startup" so you dont have to bother with it any more.

With that, you're done. Run a 3D application to test that all works well. Rivatuner can also monitor your clock speeds etc. You can configure the statistics server to ignore whatever programs you dont want your overclocked profile running under.

zorrt

Sep 12, 2005
I believe he wanted something to automatically switch between profiles instead of having to manually switch them before he plays a game as he already made 2 profiles for it.

Because the 8800gt doesnt have a separate 2D clock it doesnt drop the clock down in 2D environments.

mwalt2

May 1, 2004
Originally posted by: zorrt
I believe he wanted something to automatically switch between profiles instead of having to manually switch them before he plays a game as he already made 2 profiles for it.

Because the 8800gt doesnt have a separate 2D clock it doesnt drop the clock down in 2D environments.
Yep, that's what I wanted zorrt. I read the guide on guru3d.com, but it doesn't work for 8800 cards. I'll try that out tonight.

*edit - Works great. Thanks

mephisto33

Mar 15, 2008
Hi, thanks for the tip.
However, when I click "setup" in the new graph, there is no such thing as "+". Instead, there is a "more" button, at the bottom of the window, but I cannot click it, it stays unavailable.
I use RT 2.08 on vista 64, with 8800 gts 512, using latest beta drivers from nvidia.
Any hints ?
ty anyway!

zorrt

Sep 12, 2005
For Rivatuner 2.08 follow the steps as above but skip the "Click the green + icon..." step ONLY. Instead:

- From the Rivatuner main window go to the "Scheduler" tab
- Click the green + icon
- Create 2 tasks with the following settings

Launch [item] on specified schedule
Name [the profile you made]
Run task [on hardware monitoring threshold event]
Data Source [Hardware acceleration]
Threshold [0.5]
Direction [upward/downward] NB: upward for your overclock profile, downward for your normal clock profile

So yea, with Rivatuner 2.08 automatically launching tasks is made simpler as everything can be set in 1 centralized location. All the settings are self explanatory too which is a plus.

Nyrup

Oct 4, 2008
Thank you for you detailed description. I got it working with a minor change. Somehow my "Hardware acceleartion" never changed state.... If I instead use Hardware Acceleraton D3Dx10 then it works. I like your solution better since it does not requrie me to destinguish between DX9 and DX10.

Any idear why my "Hardware Acceleration" does not change state?

Specs;

Asus Commando | E6750@3.2GHz | XFX8800GT Alpha Dog | 2Gb DDR2 CorsAir 4-4-4-12@800MHz | Auzentech HDA Xplosion 7.1 | Racer Barracuda AC-1 | HaupHauge PVR150 | Razer HP-1 Surround Headphones | Pioneer Surround Reciever | Thomson 32" LCD | Vista Ultimate 32 | AVG 8

Cheers
Nyrup