help seeking for motherboard that support IDE hard drive

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
can someone help me look for a motherboard that support IDE hard drive?

my system broken down and my hard drive still works and have data i want to keep and use. i want to buy a new motherboard to use the hard drive but most modern hard drive is SATA.

i went to ewiz and newegg and navigate hard drives.... it only says SATA and ATA. can someone link me a motherboard that support IDE hard drive in either ewiz or newegg?

look for motherboard
- amd cpu
- IDE hard drive

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
You could use any motherboard and inerts controller card for PATA drives. Take the opportunity to de-legacy yourself. You can have both.

If you must have on board PATA, check out the Asus P5LD2 mobo on E-Bay.

You can also put your PATA drive in an external case and access it from any computer.

Last edited:

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
You could use any motherboard and inerts controller card for PATA drives. Take the opportunity to de-legacy yourself. You can have both.

If you must have on board PATA, check out the Asus P5LD2 mobo on E-Bay.

You can also put your PATA drive in an external case and access it from any computer.

is PATA same thing as IDE? i really dont know about this stuff. the plug that plugs in the hard drive has 4 holes. the psu wire has 4 holes thats plug into the hard drive.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
is PATA same thing as IDE?
Yes

i really dont know about this stuff. the plug that plugs in the hard drive has 4 holes. the psu wire has 4 holes thats plug into the hard drive.
There are two wire that need to plug into a hard drive. The data wire, which in the case of PATA hard drives is an 80 wire ribbon cable

File:ATA_cables.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ATA_cables.jpg

And a power cable which with PATA is a 4 pin molex connector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Molex_female_connector.jpg
File:ATA_cables.jpg

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
i went to ewiz and newegg and navigate hard drives.... it only says SATA and ATA. can someone link me a motherboard that support IDE hard drive in either ewiz or newegg?

I just took a quick peek and at least 3 out of 4 had an IDE port out of the dozen I looked at. You are unable to sort or search for them. You have to look at the pictures.

If you want a more specific recommendation, we need more information. Which CPU do you have? Some boards can't take the higher wattage chips. Do you need ATX or micro ATX? Do you run dual graphics cards? Is your RAM DDR3 or DDR2?

NiceCold

May 14, 2011
I just took a quick peek and at least 3 out of 4 had an IDE port out of the dozen I looked at. You are unable to sort or search for them. You have to look at the pictures.

If you want a more specific recommendation, we need more information. Which CPU do you have? Some boards can't take the higher wattage chips. Do you need ATX or micro ATX? Do you run dual graphics cards? Is your RAM DDR3 or DDR2?

well the hdd was in a Emachines T6212 system. may you please link me to the cheapest rpice that is compatible with all the components thats in the T6212? and this t6212 seems dead thats why i need a new motherboard to get the hard drive that was in it to work. ima get new case too.

the T6212 upgraded current spec is
- athlon64 3200+
- 2.5gb ram
- x850xt pci express
- win xp

i want to see the cheapest price in retail site like newegg, ewiz and tiger direct i dont want to buy at ebay.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
i've got a couple of old nforce motherboards with geforce 6100 i am pretty sure they have a sata port. let me know.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
is PATA same thing as IDE?

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics There are two kinds of IDE drives, Serial ATA (SATA) and Parallel ATA (PATA.) IDE applies equally to both types, common usage not withstanding.