Help regarding SSDs and defrag?

xcas

Nov 8, 2015
I've heard all sorts of evil things will happen if I defrag an SSD, but I didn't think of it for my new PC until now. I've only had this PC for a few weeks. Just checked the Windows 10 disc optimization app and it had weekly defrag turned on for my solid state drive (C:) and the Recovery SSD, though the C drive's last run was apparently 24 days ago and Recovery simply "needs optimization."
I did read somewhere though that Windows 10 should detect that it's an SSD and act accordingly, meaning I could leave the automatic schedule on and it'll only do what is necessary. I still don't trust it though. For the time being, I have turned off the automatic defrag, but I wanted to know from someone who has more experience with either Windows 10 or SSDs if I'm doing the right thing.
Is there a chance that damage has already been done if, as I presume they have, at least one or two defrags have already occurred?
I contacted Microsoft Windows 10 online chat support and the guy just said "You can disable auto optimization if you want." Really helpful.
Thanks for any insight.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It's not defrag but trim. Leave it on and it will trim your SSD when needed.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
It's not defrag but trim. Leave it on and it will trim your SSD when needed.

Yep, Windows 10 is new enough to know about SSDs and how they work. Same with Superfetch that some people insist on turning off with SSD's. Win10 will configure that automatically for the best performance with HDDs and SSDs.