help! really bad neck pain, whta do i do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
...the people i treat are pain free and back to checking their blind-spot while they're driving in no more than 2 days.

That about how long it takes for this problem go get better on it's own, on the average. On the other hand a chiro-quackter will be happy to take your money, take the credit, and quite possibly dissect your carotid with his neck manipulations in the process. Its a "win-win," assuming by "win" you mean poorer or stroked out.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Go see a chiropractor. You don't have to tell anyone you did if you don't want to.

I need to go see mine this week since I screwed my back/neck up again last week (happens often due to an injury I suffered ten years ago). Chiro or surgery are my only options. The general practitioner I saw at the time of the injury said it was "just an inflammation that will go away after a few days, take some naproxen sodium". Fucking dumbass...

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
That about how long it takes for this problem go get better on it's own, on the average. On the other hand a chiro-quackter will be happy to take your money, take the credit, and quite possibly dissect your carotid with his neck manipulations in the process. Its a "win-win," assuming by "win" you mean poorer or stroked out.

actually, that's not true. it typically takes longer. after i treat my patients, it takes NO LONGER than two days before they have full range of motion without pain again.

and, no, we don't dissect carotid arteries with manipulations. it's actually impossible. you vertebral artery, on the other hand, is more plausible. however, statistics show that it happens in about 1 in every 1 to 5.2 million people.

you don't read anything before you type, do you?

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
There was a fairly young guy in our ER within the last year who dissected both carotids later the day of a chiropractic manipulation. Case study of 1, but it happens. Might have had Marfan's...who knows.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
There was a fairly young guy in our ER within the last year who dissected both carotids later the day of a chiropractic manipulation. Case study of 1, but it happens. Might have had Marfan's...who knows.

lol even with marfan's, it's impossible. vertebrobasiliar maybe, but not carotids. even if it's the vertebrobasilar arteries, it's nearly impossible to dissect BOTH of them and live.

he probably did some stupid shit after he left the chiropractor's office... either that or he did some stupid shit before he went to the chiropractor (which is more likely, considering that that's typically why people come in to begin with). the chiropractor didn't do a thorough enough exam on the guy to realize, "hey, this guy's got a vbai/dissection... refer to er pronto". he just probably thought it was a common headache or something and went for the adjustment.

studies have shown that most cases in which a chiropractor was being sued for causing a stroke were from people who were actually in the process of having the stroke before they even walked through the door of the chiropractor's office. that's why they teach us over and over and over again how to check for vbai if there are any red flags (family history, age, diabetes, marfan's, past history, etc., etc.).

chiropractors rarely ever cause a stroke. you're more likely to die under the care of a medical doctor or even get a gastric or duodenal ulcer from taking nsaids than getting a stroke from a chiropractor.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003

Went to my chiro this morning. I will let you know if I have a stroke later.