help pulling data off WD World Book

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
It's a 2TB model, a friend wanted to xfer everything from it to a new 3TB drive. He started to do a drive to drive but it's slooooooow, well I don't know what normal transfer speeds are on NAS drives like this, but @ 9.5mb/s it was going to take forever to copy 1.7tb's. So I helped him pull the drive out and put it in a PC and just copy that way. It sounded good in theory, but when we got the drive out after some struggling I figured out it's EXT3. Googling I found a few programs that allow Windows to read EXT2/3 partitions, but neither are seeing anything here.

My question is, what would be the easiest way to get the data off here? Easiest that's not going to require using the drive threw Ethernet, it was going to take 17 hours for 45 gigs. And the drive has 1.7tb so that's not really an option. I was thinking some sort of Live CD, but are there any with built in XTFS writing support? I Googled this and didn't find anything that was simple. My bud's not a computer expert so anything that involves CLI will be no dice.

Here are the Window proggies I tried. Explore2fs, DiskInternals Linux Reader & Ext2 Installable File System For Windows. Explore2fs was the only that showed the drive, but it was saying there was only 150mb of data. When I hook it back up in the WD enclosure it comes up with all the data.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply, I tried that program and it's not mounting the drive, and it's showing it as 150mb of space used. Data's there fine when I hook up the WD NAS board to it and access it with the WD Link software. I'm wondering if WD did something else here, that program you linked to is showing it as a EXT3 partition, but it's just not seeming to read it.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I would just put a linux distro on a flash drive, boot that up and copy from there.
You can use Y.U.M.I for that.

Another,maybe even better idea would be to clone the drive with some software,easus and a lot of others have free cloning soft.
It's bootable too and should support any filesystem.
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Which drive is EXT?

If the blank drive is the EXT drive and you don't want it to be EXT just repartition to NTFS (or whatever) with GParted...

I suggest Puppy Linux or FatDog64. Both distros will read and write to EXT or NTFS.

NTFS support was a problem years ago but they have all the bugs out by now.

Of course there is always the slow network option...

Maybe spend $30 on a GiGaBiT switch?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82611