Help: Precission 220 with GeForce 2 MX400

hecresper

Aug 6, 2002
Howdy,

I just recently upgraded the stock-RivaTNT2 in my Dell system to a GeForce 2 MX400. The previous card only had 32MB of video RAM. The new card has 64MB on board. What's puzzling me is that, the new video card installed fine the first time using the nVidia drivers. After powering down the system and bringing it back up, the video would default to VGA-16colors. I thought the nVidia drivers used were out-of-date so I downloaded the latest Detonator from nVidia's web site. The same VGA-16color issue kept happening. So, without complaining much, I used the drivers that came with the video card. Those drivers seemed to work fine, but just this morning it started doing the VGA-16color crap again. This is very strange to me. As far as I know, it only points to faulty drivers, but it keeps happening with any drivers I've tried so far. I also went ahead and downloaded the INF update for my monitor from Sony's website, to see if it would help. I'm beginning to think this Dell system does not like any other video card besides the one it came with.

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks,
Hector

My System:
Dell Precision 220
P3-800Mhz
256MB RAM
MSI GeForce 2 MX400 64MB no TVout
Sony SDM-M51 Flat Screen LCD
MS Win2K Pro