HELP!!!! Possible hack or virus

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
Somebody has recently found out my aim password, yeah I know you might think big deal. However I found out with aim you can be signed on at 2 different locations at once simultaneously and whatever is being said on one computer can be seen on the other. Anyway, I have changed passwords many times and they are still getting my password, but I don't know how. I don't tell people my password, I don't access aim on other computers other than my own and I have norton anti virus and a firewall. How are they getting into my computer and getting past norton and my firewall and how do I prevent this from happening? Please help.

rutchtkim

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
its a trojan. a program specifically written to steal your information and transmit it back to the author

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
I see, how does it manage to bypass both norton and zone alarm? and why just for my aim screen name? could my whole computer be at risk?

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
How are you certain that someone else has your pw and stuff? If your connection drops unexpectedly, but you sign back on soon enough with a different IP (dial up and dsl), AIM thinks you've signed on from a second location because it doesn't know that you've disconnected from the other session. Could this be happening in your case?

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
Good idea, but no, I am receiving these messages from aim stating that I'm on at another location WHILE I'm still online. This is why I'm so alarmed about this.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: nOnAme43280
Good idea, but no, I am receiving these messages from aim stating that I'm on at another location WHILE I'm still online. This is why I'm so alarmed about this.
If you're that concerned, get another screen name and add your normal one to its buddy list. See if your normal name ever comes online while you're on with the new one.

DOSfan

Sep 19, 2003
Two possibilities that come to mind:

1) You are behind a router. AIM is confused because you have the IP you logged on, and it detects you at the router.

^^ Damn silly notion, I know. But I am stretching here.

2) AOL uses dynamic IP addresses. Unless this has changed recently. While I have never heard of an address change during a session (you usually get knocked off during a change) it might be happening, thus confusing AIM.

Can you rule out both of these?

And if so...... Are you using wireless? School network? Work network? Sniffers are amazing things these days.......

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
Well if somebody specifically went after my screen name they will surely get it again, regardless to a new name, but its worth a shot anyway. No, I'm not wireless, and this computer is on a home connection, no network or anything, just jacked in to a normal phone jack in the wall. Any other suggestions?

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
By the way that House Call anti virus thing one of you told me to go to came up with nothing. Also whenever it says I'm on at 2 different locations you know how messages sent or received are sent to both locations, well I never got any messages from them, nor did I see anything odd about my buddy list or anything weird. So maybe its a fluke with aim? but why happen now? it doesn't make sense.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Update your e-mail address to a new one, and change your password.

They might have access to just your e-mail account and are continuously requesting for the new password.

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DOSfan
Two possibilities that come to mind:

1) You are behind a router. AIM is confused because you have the IP you logged on, and it detects you at the router.

^^ Damn silly notion, I know. But I am stretching here.

2) AOL uses dynamic IP addresses. Unless this has changed recently. While I have never heard of an address change during a session (you usually get knocked off during a change) it might be happening, thus confusing AIM.

Can you rule out both of these?

And if so...... Are you using wireless? School network? Work network? Sniffers are amazing things these days.......

Not anymore, you can sign on in two locations now. why? who knows.

nOnAme43280

Jun 10, 2003
well hey I appreciate the help, I'll keep at it, but I'm going to bed now. Please, if anybody comes across this and has any other information or knowledge of how this might be happening and how to stop it let me know please, thanks a lot