Question Help picking new ddr4 z690 board for 12900k

Redbearddude

Banned
Dec 26, 2021
Been looking at some ddr4 z690 boards and need some opinions on which one to get. I was looking at the asus tuf z690 plus or the msi z690 tomahawk both are ddr4.. well I saw that asus boards are having issues with blowing out mosfets on the strix and hero models not sure if the tuf had that issue.. msi seems to have somewhat of a bios xmp and nvme issue. So I don't know which one is the better one to get right now. I've always liked asus but might have a bad taste about them now possibly. Input appreciated thanks guys..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I haven't read about any of the issues you've mentioned.

If you've read about these claims, please link so we can see what you're talking about.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There will be some posts by individual users claiming issues with just about every product in existence. There's always a certain percentage of products from every manufacturer that are defective.

If you like Asus, go with it. They have a 3 year warranty when bought from authorized retailers.

However, if you are worried about their manufacturing issues from the user posts you referenced above, then go will MSI board. However, I guarantee their are individual posts out there that claim MSI's quality control is bad as well......and Asrock......and Gigabyte........and Biostar.......and.........

Reactions: ccssid123

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Reactions: Leeea

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I just don't know how the msi boards are for ddr4 z690 and bios and all that . I've always liked asus. So idk:confused_old:
I'm on MSI Pro Z90-A DDR4 version and all I can tell you is: your mileage may vary.

I stayed away from Gigabyte as even though they seem to offer the most VRM bang for the buck, their firmware had issues with memory OC from day one. Asus was way more expensive (considering feature sets), and even though I managed to find a good enough deal for the TUF, in the end I went with MSI Pro for the better PCIe slot layout (as it pertains to my needs).

The MSI board is a mixed bag: on one side the initial UEFI version lacked proper control for disabling E-cores, on the other side the new version fixed this but has introduced some problems with the CPU voltage Advanced Offset options. After 2 hardware UEFI resets I gave up on using Adaptive + Advanced Offset and went with the simple Adaptive + Offset option. Both UEFI versions have broken sleep with XMP enabled, the PC crashes when attempting to wake from sleep.

Memory OC is a mixed bag as well: personally I'm reasonably happy with my 3800MT/s oc with tight timings (15 17 17 35 CR1), even though I'd eventually like to try 4000MT/s. Best I could get on first UEFI version was 3900, and the second firmware version didn't really give me the confidence that OC consistency has improved, if everything the memory training seems to be producing more inconsistent results. I'm using 2x32GB Crucial 3600 CL16 sticks, so Micron dual-ranked - AFAIK 4000 MT/s is the most I can expect. From the MSI forums I hear people are having problems with 4 DIMMs and XMP enabled, they're also getting impatient as MSI is dragging it's feet.

I know nothing of NVME issues, but then again I focused on the issues I encountered myself.

Bottom line: MSI isn't a hard NO, but plan your build carefully - I strongly suggest you go with a 2 stick config for now. If I had to choose based on UEFI maturity alone, I think I would go with Asus right now, even though personally I was able to bring my MSI build to a good place in terms of performance. If ASUS VRM quality is REALLY an issue, as in proven based on more verififed reports, go with MSI. That being said, on paper the TUF has a solid power stage, better than the one on my MSI Pro.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
If I were building a 1700 system RN, I would get the Strix ddr4 board. Looks like ASUS has the coolest VRMs by a fair margin, their UEFI is always tops, AI overclocking is extremely useful and the software and support are decent. I think the mosfet issue only affects certain maximus boards (the hero I think). That being said, I am going to hang with my 9700k for another year and wait for the new process node. Maybe put that money into a new video if the prices ever come down to earth. Come on crypto crash!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

ccssid123

Jan 18, 2022
just built up an Asus (yesterday and today)

ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 LGA1700 ATX

Installed Windows 11. i5 12600k. Nvme for boot drive. 32Gb 3600 ram (set to 3200) Spent the last couple of hours loading all of my programs etc. Bottom line....everything works as it is supposed to. I did try to install a cloned operating disk off of my older i7 3770k Gigabyte machine....that was a no-go. I did not experience any of the mishaps that you may be reading about. Personally, I think 95% of these mishaps are created by the user's doing something wrong.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Been looking at some ddr4 z690 boards and need some opinions on which one to get. I was looking at the asus tuf z690 plus or the msi z690 tomahawk both are ddr4.. well I saw that asus boards are having issues with blowing out mosfets on the strix and hero models not sure if the tuf had that issue.. msi seems to have somewhat of a bios xmp and nvme issue. So I don't know which one is the better one to get right now. I've always liked asus but might have a bad taste about them now possibly. Input appreciated thanks guys..

A 100,000 boards with a 0.1% failure rate will have a hundred people screaming bloody murder on the internet.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
just built up an Asus (yesterday and today)

ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 LGA1700 ATX

Installed Windows 11. i5 12600k. Nvme for boot drive. 32Gb 3600 ram (set to 3200) Spent the last couple of hours loading all of my programs etc. Bottom line....everything works as it is supposed to. I did try to install a cloned operating disk off of my older i7 3770k Gigabyte machine....that was a no-go. I did not experience any of the mishaps that you may be reading about. Personally, I think 95% of these mishaps are created by the user's doing something wrong.

Nice to hear this as I am thinking of a similar build