Help picking between servers!

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I'm looking for a server to watch TVs and movies off of. Doesn't need to be powerful. I wanted it to run XBMC, but I understand if it can't, or won't do it well.

These servers are available at extreme discounts. Case alone costs more than the total cost.

AIC RSC-4ED2 - 24 3.5" Hot Swap Server Chassis
SuperMicro H8DME-2 or SuperMicro X7DBE-X
Dual Core AMD Opteron, 2212 HE or Intel Dual Core E5120 or Intel Dual Core E5130 (based on availability)
(3) AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
(8GB) Super Talent 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC Registered CL5 240-Pin DIMM
(3) EMACS Zippy M1W-6500P Hot Swap Server 1U PSU

I'm wondering if these are a good buy and if so should I go with Intel or AMD? There are also differences between the mobos so I'll post that info here as well!

Also this 12drive unit is available as a 2U(Which is my ideal size)
I feel like this is faster than the other 2 but now sure.

Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
(2) 800 watt PSU (redundant)

Here is the Mobos on each one.

2U Intel
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon3000/3210/x7sbe.cfm

4U AMD
http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/motherboard/opteron2000/mcp55/h8dme-2.cfm

4U Intel
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon1333/5000p/x7dbe-x.cfm

I'd post the info directly to here but I don't know what information is actually relevant that you want and it's kind of long.

Thanks in advance!

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Almost 100 views and no replies? I figured people would at least be able to tell me which CPU is fastest and which Mobo is best for a server application or an XBMX application.

I really can't remember the differences between these processors it's dated but I assume the intel 2u is the best.

Do you need more information?

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Get an a series amd CPU, super cheap and will handle your video needs. Any reason you wanted opterons?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Get an a series amd CPU, super cheap and will handle your video needs. Any reason you wanted opterons?

It's not that I want opteron cpus it's that these are prebuilt already for EXTREMELY cheap. 300 each actually, and the 2U unit is 200 dollars. A little less than 100 dollars shipping on each unit. The cases alone used are worth over 300 dollars alone. So why not buy a cheap prebuilt server with 24 bays for HDs. Means I'll never have to upgrade a case for HardDrive Space again.
I just don't know much about the Opteron or the Intel CPUs or the mobos. Server parts are not something I ever followed.

My opinion is that the CPU in the 12bay 2U is the fastest and best set up, but I'm not sure. I'd rather just have the 12 bay 2U anyway since I think 12 is about the right amount of HDs I'd ever need and I thought it was the fastest/best set up. That's why I'm looking for input though lol.

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Have you spec'd out a system that meets your needs? My htpc has a 4 bay HD enclosure with a total of 9 terabytes with 1 slot still open for another 3 terabyte drive. I'm doing full rips of my blu rays. Got tons of space left, at some point I will surpass my current storage, but it'll be awhile. A system suited for your needs will be far more valuable than buying something that is a good deal, my 2 cents.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Have you spec'd out a system that meets your needs? My htpc has a 4 bay HD enclosure with a total of 9 terabytes with 1 slot still open for another 3 terabyte drive. I'm doing full rips of my blu rays. Got tons of space left, at some point I will surpass my current storage, but it'll be awhile. A system suited for your needs will be far more valuable than buying something that is a good deal, my 2 cents.

I wanted a 12 or 24 bay case to store HDs. Currently, those cost 600+. The case alone that is. This deal is 400 or 300. The case alone is worth the money in this case. I just need to decide on what I want inside.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
This will hold at least 13 if you get the 4 bay hard drive adapter for the 5.25 bays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811128069

I have it and its very nice.

Considering how much of a deal it is for 300-400 dollars for a complete server with front facing easy to add/remove HardDrives I wouldn't really want a case without it. After all parts I'm still looking at 300-400 dollars with that server except no front facing HDs.
I'm really looking at either one of these 3 options, or something that offers what these have in a similar rackmount case.

Edit: That doesn't even include a Sata card or other things. A case like that minimum is 200 dollars off newegg, then add in bare minimum specs to use 12 bay hotswapping and you're already at around 600+. I'd only build my own server if there was a feature I was missing out on from newer hardware that I actually needed.

Last edited:

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
The OP confuses me.

Bunch of parts, couple questions, more parts listed. The later in the thread you answer one of the questions (yes, you think they are a good buy).

Sounds like you have potential server purchases. I'm not clear how many different servers there are. You want to know which is the best deal maybe? But it's not clear to me how many different servers there are or what is included in each different server.

If the question was, "Which of the following server is the best deal?", followed by a parts list for server A with notations like
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
MB: ...

Then a parts list for server B with the same format, all the way through all servers under consideration, that would make it much easier to answer the question.

As it is, I'm too lazy to parse out exactly what you're asking.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Oh, and I support buying something with a lot of easily swapped drive bays. Especially if you're ripping blu rays. I've currently got 10 HDDs in my media server, and expect to need more room in about a year.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
The OP confuses me.

Bunch of parts, couple questions, more parts listed. The later in the thread you answer one of the questions (yes, you think they are a good buy).

Sounds like you have potential server purchases. I'm not clear how many different servers there are. You want to know which is the best deal maybe? But it's not clear to me how many different servers there are or what is included in each different server.

If the question was, "Which of the following server is the best deal?", followed by a parts list for server A with notations like
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
MB: ...

Then a parts list for server B with the same format, all the way through all servers under consideration, that would make it much easier to answer the question.

As it is, I'm too lazy to parse out exactly what you're asking.

I'm sorry there are 3 configurations. In the first post the first set of specs everything is the same between the Intel and AMD options other than the CPU/Mobo combo.
In the second set of specs, it's just the intel configuration as that's the only one available for the 2U.

So there are 3 total configurations, trying to find out which one is the best. If you want me to rewrite them to make it clearer I can do that when I get back from class.

Yes, I like the hotswap HDDs. I just am tired of constantly opening my PC to switch HDs in and out. Plus, it means I can just simply walk up to my server, pop a HardDrive out, and take it with me on the road if I'm trying to watch some stuff. Or just pop a small 80 Gig HD in and load it up with what I want then pop it out. Just much more convenient.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I'm looking for a server to watch TVs and movies off of. Doesn't need to be powerful. I wanted it to run XBMC, but I understand if it can't, or won't do it well.

These servers are available at extreme discounts. Case alone costs more than the total cost.

AIC RSC-4ED2 - 24 3.5" Hot Swap Server Chassis
SuperMicro H8DME-2 or SuperMicro X7DBE-X
Dual Core AMD Opteron, 2212 HE or Intel Dual Core E5120 or Intel Dual Core E5130 (based on availability)
(3) AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
(8GB) Super Talent 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC Registered CL5 240-Pin DIMM
(3) EMACS Zippy M1W-6500P Hot Swap Server 1U PSU

I'm wondering if these are a good buy and if so should I go with Intel or AMD? There are also differences between the mobos so I'll post that info here as well!

Also this 12drive unit is available as a 2U(Which is my ideal size)
I feel like this is faster than the other 2 but now sure.

Supermicro SAS826TQ
Supermicro X7SBE
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
Kingston 4GB RAM
(1) Supermicro SAT2-MV8
(2) 800 watt PSU (redundant)

Here is the Mobos on each one.

2U Intel
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon3000/3210/x7sbe.cfm

4U AMD
http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/motherboard/opteron2000/mcp55/h8dme-2.cfm

4U Intel
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon1333/5000p/x7dbe-x.cfm

I'd post the info directly to here but I don't know what information is actually relevant that you want and it's kind of long.

Thanks in advance!

I run a ML350 G5 with 2 x 5130 (dual core 2Ghz) 12GB FBDIMM, with Server 2012.
On this I run several VMS, I of which runs my Plex Media server, which has around 500 movies + TV shows, and around 50K of music files...Havent noticed any issues so far, so would think any of the above will do fine.

I cant imagine using a whole server for just 1 application now, so I would probably go the intel board route to ensure hypervisor compatibility, but thats just me

Last edited:

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
Performance wise, just get a good ati HD card and you should be fine for watching movies.

Ati biased for htpc.