Help Picking a Nikon

Dunkman04

Nov 17, 2010
I am at a loss as to which camera to get so I turn experts. Currently I have an oldish Olympus E-620. It has been a good camera, and I bought it as a relatively inexpensive option and because the kit glass it comes with is superior to the entry level Canon/Nikon cameras. However, I've reached the end of my leash with the limitations of the camera (slow and relatively poor AF, poor high-ISO performance, etc.) I could buy better lenses to deal with some of the issues, but I don't think I want to invest money in a basically dead format.

I like Nikon cameras and have come into ownership of a 70-300mm lens so I want to go in that direction. At varying points in time over the last 2 weeks I have convinced myself I want a D5100, D5200, D7000 and D7100. I've read plenty that says the increased controls of the D7x00 make it an easy recommendations, and I've seen people say the D5x00 are just as good to shoot with. I don't mind the D5x00 body or size at all although the D7x00 feels better as it's just a better camera. Also, whichever I get I need a lens to compliment the zoom I have already. Should I just get the vanilla kit 18-55 or something else?

I guess that's it. Sorry if it's long and rambling but I've been going back and forth making myself crazy for several weeks now.

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
cant comment on your particular needs other than this:

never never ever buy a new camera from a local camera store.
go there, look at the cameras, decide which you like, then go home and buy it from B&H PhotoVideo in New York... or Adorama

the $$$ you'll save...

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I went with the d5100 has the price/performance suited my needs. I didn't think the d5200 price premium was worth it, and while the d7000/d7100 has tons of extra features and a better body, I didn't want to spend the extra cash, as this was going to be my first DSLR and the extra stuff would not be needed to my basic fotography needs.
So it all comes down to your personal needs.

After a lengthy discussion I went with a nikkor 35mm f/1.8 prime, as my first and only lens so far. And that's something I can highly recommend. While you loose some flexibility, then you learn to move around to get the best picture. And the lens is really sharp and very fast, which is good for night and indoor photography.

My threads about choosing a lens for my d5100 (examples last in thread):

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2314983

and a night take:

2013-05-04_049.JPG

and from the local pride festival :D

2013-06-01_343.JPG

Last edited:

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I just moved up to a D7000 from a D5100. Nothing wrong with the latter; the ergonomics are great, and the articulated LCD is a plus. I just needed true mirror lockup, DOF preview, and wanted the programmable presets sets on the Mode dial. I also like that key settings (ISO, exp. comp., etc.) are now a button press/main dial rotate away. No more hunting through menus. This will likely be my last DX body. Next stop-full frame.

Oct 19, 2000
I like Nikon cameras and have come into ownership of a 70-300mm lens so I want to go in that direction. At varying points in time over the last 2 weeks I have convinced myself I want a D5100, D5200, D7000 and D7100. I've read plenty that says the increased controls of the D7x00 make it an easy recommendations, and I've seen people say the D5x00 are just as good to shoot with. I don't mind the D5x00 body or size at all although the D7x00 feels better as it's just a better camera. Also, whichever I get I need a lens to compliment the zoom I have already. Should I just get the vanilla kit 18-55 or something else?

I've been a Nikon guy since I got into photography a few years ago. Hopefully I can help out, since I was just recently in the same sort of position when wanting to upgrade my D50 (D5200, D7000 or D7100 were my agonizing choices).

For me, the D5100 wasn't an option. For only $200 more, you get a better sensor and a better camera overall. I would only consider the D5100 if you were trying to save as much money as possible. It's a fine camera, no doubt, but there's better to be had if you don't mind spending the extra cash.

The D5200 was an option because it's a newer 24mp sensor (I wanted more room to crop) and the price was good. They appear to still be on sale for a very good price. Reviews have been good and I liked the swivel screen. I didn't think I'd mind having to menu dive to change settings, which I'll comment on in a bit....

The D7000 was an option because I really liked the idea of taking that next step up to a prosumer model. The D50 served me well but I wanted the extra options available. I also wanted the in-body focus motor that the D5100/D5200 didn't offer. I have a couple of lenses that require it and I wasn't crazy about manually focusing. The closeout price on these with the recent release of the D7100 was also almost too good to pass up.

The D7100 was an option because of the newer sensor, giving great IQ and more room to crop. I also liked the increased options and functionality over the D5200. I've gotten used to the D50's top LCD screen and the D5200 doesn't have this, I really felt like I would miss it.

I ended up buying the D7100 because once I held both it and the D5200 in-store, I just like the size and weight of the D7100 better. I also thought the viewfinder was miles better, bigger and clearer. I found that I did not like going into the menu on the D5200 to change settings, changing them with a button press and command dials on the D7100 is so much better and quicker for me. I ended up ruling out the D7000 simply because I wanted the newer technology and am enjoying being the front-edge of the camera refresh for once.

I don't regret my purchase one bit. It was a bit more but I'll have this camera for a few years at least. An extra $300 is nothing for something I'll use for quite a while.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Well I'm currently using a D600 (Full Frame Camera) which are way way better than DX cameras but if I had to pick a DX camera I'd probably recommend a D7100 because of it's built in motor (ability to use old lenses you might get at a bargain price), off camera flash (compared to always using a flash on the hotshoe) and it's auto focus system.

Also it has EXSPEED 3 which is much more accurate with white balance. (Think white being white and not being ugly yellow)

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
I love the ability to use older lenses. If you go pick up an old 85mm f/1.8 or something, you immediately can save $200 over the AF-S version you need to get to put on the D5200.

Then again, the focus is slower that way, but to me, I love being able to slap on an 1980s era lens and fire away with full AF support, or a 1970s lens and still get all the MF features it would have.

Of course, I have a D700 and love it. :)

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
I love the ability to use older lenses. If you go pick up an old 85mm f/1.8 or something, you immediately can save $200 over the AF-S version you need to get to put on the D5200.

Then again, the focus is slower that way, but to me, I love being able to slap on an 1980s era lens and fire away with full AF support, or a 1970s lens and still get all the MF features it would have.

Yes. I bought a refurb 24mm af-d and LOVE it on the D7000. A year, or so, ago I bought a refurb 50mm af-d and are similarly pleased at price/performance.

Dunkman04

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the help guys. Basically I think I wanted someone to tell me I wouldn't be happy with something less than the D7000. Mission accomplished!

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

A lot of older glass wasn't designed to stand up to the very demanding high-megapixel sensors we have these days. Some are still good, but many aren't. So be careful using old glass, and check reviews first.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
A lot of older glass wasn't designed to stand up to the very demanding high-megapixel sensors we have these days. Some are still good, but many aren't. So be careful using old glass, and check reviews first.

If your only concern is absolute sharp, then yeah, this is true.

I find the *way* these lenses blur to have a "vintage" feel and with a little coloration, it's actually quite pleasant for many types of photos.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

the funny thing is that canon cameras using an adapter ring work better with pre-AF and AF-D nikon glass than many nikon cameras do.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

I find the *way* these lenses blur to have a "vintage" feel and with a little coloration, it's actually quite pleasant for many types of photos.

You can add blur to sharp but not the other way around. (Software "sharpening" adds artifacts; the more sharpening the more artifacts.) You can always trim hair shorter, but ever try to have a barber glue hair back onto your head?

I suppose if you adore blur and like a certain look that a certain lens gives you, sure, do that instead of manually adding blur to each photo you take with the lens. That would save time.

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011

As in, money is no concern. My 24mm f/2.8 AF-D was under $300 Factory Refurbished. I am super happy with this lens on the D7000.

8989787275_971eb48826_o.jpg

Downsized to 3.3 mp in LR. Otherwise, jpeg straight out of the camera.

Last edited: