Help needed for new build, fast core i7 system, budget 2500-3000$

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
Hi all,

I am planning to build a new system in the next few weeks and I am unfortunately a bit lost. I plan to build a powerful and fast machine and intend to keep it at least a couple years.
Last time I build a PC it was with a PIII 1Ghz. After that, I stayed with laptops but I am back to desktops (I just can't live with all the laptops shortcomings anymore)

I've done quite some research and know already some of the components but I would welcome any advice for the parts where I am lacking knowledge.

1. My PC will be used for gaming, TVersity server for PS3/Xbox, ripping DVDs, heavy multitasking and will probably run 24/7.

2. My budget? Hmm... 2500$ (up to 3000$). That is not including the screen.

3. Parts will be bought from Switzerland, Europe

4. I prefer Intel so I'll go for a core i7 setup. No other preference.

5. Nope, no recycling of old parts whatsoever

6. Yes, I've done some research and came up with some parts already.

7. If overclocking is not too much of a hassle (and if it doesn't increase noise level), I'd do it.

8. 1920x1080.

9. I plan to build it in the next 2-3 weeks

Now, I already covered some parts:

Screen:
HP LP2475W
Review Link
Hard-Drive: Intel X-25 M G2 for system/apps, WD RE3 1To for data
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard / Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
Graphic Card: a Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X as soon as I can get my hands on one, Otherwise two Vapor-X 5770 in Crossfire :-(
possibly coupled to an Nvidia GT220 card.
The cheap Nvidia will serve two purposes: main graphic card until I get the 5870, and PhysiX for Batman Asylum with the hack :biggrin:
System: Windows 7 64bits
Sound Card: I got myself a HT Omega Claro+ (imported from USA)

I am still not sure what to take for the rest.
I want to have a fast and responsive machine but at the same time, I want to keep noise level to a minimum.
I plan to add a 2nd screen and 2nd 5870 at some point, and according to the Asus calculator, I'd need around 900W for that.

So do you guys have any recommendation for:

Motherboard? Which brand/model shall I get? Which chipset is more adequate for my needs?
For the moment, I am thinking Asus P6T Deluxe v2.

CPU?
After careful considerations, will go for core i7 920... at least I can switch to Gulftown later, whereas roadmap for socket 1156 only shows lower-end CPUs

Case? There is a HUGE choice out there and I just don't know which one is functional, well built, good cooling performance and minimum noise.
As for the looks, I am quite open to exotic cases as long as the color is black.
For the moment, I am thinking ATCS 840, or maybe FT02 if it's out soon.

PSU?
Same as for the case, huge choice. I guess I'd need a minimum of 900W to keep up with future upgrades. I'd like it to produce a minimum noise and be reliable.
For the moment, I am thinking Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050 or 1250W.

Memory?
I am thinking about this: CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator
kit: 3x 2.0GB, DDR3-DIMM, PC3-12800 (1600MHz), CL8-8-8-24
Link

CPU cooling fan?
Thinking about the Megahalem or the brand new Noctua NH-D14 (I saw a review, apparently, it beats the Megahalem)

Any advice would be really really appreciated :D
I'd hate to buy stuff that turns out to be not compatible or not suitable or whatever, or not too reliable.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I don't suppose you could link to a Swiss computer parts store just so we can see what the prices on stuff over there are.

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
I don't suppose you could link to a Swiss computer parts store just so we can see what the prices on stuff over there are.

I could, here is a price comparison website: http://www.toppreise.ch/grp1_1.html

I just didn't want to bother you guys with rates conversion and stuff like that.
I am fine with $ prices as seen in USA, it's not much more expensive over here.
Most of the references are available, except few exotic ones.

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
my budget is $1300 and i'm reusing some parts. i haven't received any input yet on my thread but here is what i have come up with: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2022241

you could take that and increase the watts if you feel you need to, and get a 160GB SSD instead of an 80GB

Thanks for the input.
I went through many reviews, the Enermax Revolution 85+ seems to be the killer-PSU : efficiency, cooling, noise, it's good in everything.
Except some issues with EVGA motherboards.

Guys, I updated my initial post, could you please have a look and see if there are any bottlenecks or poor choices? Anything I could improve?

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840 - the best full-tower on the market. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8_1cQkYTO4

PSU: the new Seasonic X-750 will be enough, even if you're utilitzing 90% of it's rated power output, it will be more efficient than the Enermax 85+ or Seasonic M12D which are the old top-tier PSUs. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=169

CPU Heatsink: Thermalright's IFX-14 already outperforms the Megahalems and all the others, because it's huge. On the EVGA X58 (758) it doesn't fit North/South, so you are forced to go East/West.

Motherboard: EVGA X58 (several models to choose from).

BTW, WD Caviars come in Black or RE3, now RE4, not "Black RE3", so you might have trouble finding a "Black RE3" model...

Monitor: the DELL UltraSharp 2410 (24" IPS $550). Give that a gander because DELL has a great customer service policy and they make great monitors for the price.

RAM: Mushkin Redline or Blackline

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for your input.

Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840 - the best full-tower on the market. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8_1cQkYTO4
Hmm, I prefer the Raver's looks but this case clearly has better performances/functionality (even though I like the rotated concept of the Raver, but it needs another revision to achieve perfection), thanks for pointing it to me, I think I'll go for it.

PSU: the new Seasonic X-750 will be enough, even if you're utilitzing 90% of it's rated power output, it will be more efficient than the Enermax 85+ or Seasonic M12D which are the old top-tier PSUs. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=169
Really? Even if I add another 5870 for Crossfire?
I initially thought about 1050 or 1250W for 2 reasons: it would be a long-term investment for future builds, and it will have minimal noise if I rarely use more than 60%-70% of max power output.

Motherboard: EVGA X58 (several models to choose from).
They're hardly available here :(... if I can't get one, is the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 a good choice?

BTW, WD Caviars come in Black or RE3, now RE4, not "Black RE3", so you might have trouble finding a "Black RE3" model...
Lol, ok

Monitor: the DELL UltraSharp 2410 (24" IPS $550). Give that a gander because DELL has a great customer service policy and they make great monitors for the price.
Not available here :( Dell is only offering the #%!$@ TN version.

Thanks again for your help.

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
Thanks for your input.

You are welcome. :D

Hmm, I prefer the Raver's looks but this case clearly has better performances/functionality (even though I like the rotated concept of the Raver, but it needs another revision to achieve perfection), thanks for pointing it to me, I think I'll go for it.

Oh come on, it doesn't look bad. :D It's classy looking.

Really? Even if I add another 5870 for Crossfire?
I initially thought about 1050 or 1250W for 2 reasons: it would be a long-term investment for future builds, and it will have minimal noise if I rarely use more than 60%-70% of max power output.

Not sure if the X-series 750 would handle 2 5870 in Crossfire.

They're hardly available here :(... if I can't get one, is the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 a good choice?

Not sure, I kinda dismissed ASUS because I heard they were having production issues. I only looked at MSI and EVGA.

Yes, indeed.

Not available here :( Dell is only offering the #%!$@ TN version.

That's sooo weak. :eek:

Thanks again for your help.

I hope it helps.

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
Actually, I didn't look really well, Dell is offering it in Switzerland, but at... 900$ (equivalent).
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ch&l=de&cs=chdhs1&sku=294437
For that price, I can get the F2380 plus another monitor! (and still have spare money)
It's really a scandal :twisted: I am really tired of this crap we get in Europe...
For sooo many stuff, they apply a €-$ parity, that's why the dell is 50% more expensive here.
Video games/consoles, Apple products, guitars...

Yeah, the ACTS 840 is kinda classy :)
But I prefer the raver.
Unfortunately for me, the ACTS beats it, and it also passed the WAF with highest honor :D (whereas the raver was a no-go for the wife :))

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
LOL

I like the Swiss one better - it's Schwarz instead of Black. :D Not many great products are made in USA, so that is good for you. Maybe if you bought the NEC LCD2490WUXi (which is ~$1300 for us in the USA) would be a better deal for you. I'm not sure where the NEC are made.

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
Really??? :eek: Wow... I thought it was only one way, it's probably the first time I see a product that's much more expensive in the US.

Well the worst are japanese companies... take Nintendo.. the Wii was released at 250$ in USA, and 250€ (or equivalent) in Europe... not to mention the games are more expensive, arrive 6 months later, AND are inferior (PAL games don't have a proper 480p mode).
and did I say that they region-protect their games? Thanks Nintendo for the crappiest idea ever in the video game industry...:twisted:
or A/V receivers... same stuff, Denon and Onkyo apply €-$ parity...
Many folks import it from USA, pay huge delivery and custom fees, and still save lots of money.

The Dell really looks like a great monitor, perfect for my needs, I think I'll call them and try to get some (huge) discount... don't know if there are any other good alternatives here if I don't wanna pay more than 500$ for the monitor.

ChaiBabbaChai

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2005
I noticed Europeans snagging eBay deals a few years ago with their more powerful currency!

Anyway, are you sure the NEC is more expensive here? I have no way to look up Euro prices to my knowledge. I think it's comparable to the Dell U2410 if you can't get a decent price on the Dell.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Get a Radeon HD 5970 instead of a 5870. There's no reason a $2500-3000 PC should have anything less.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Get a Radeon HD 5970 instead of a 5870. There's no reason a $2500-3000 PC should have anything less.

I agree. If you're going to spend $3,000.00 on the rig you should go with the 5970, or just get a 5850 and overclock it. The 5870 is in an awkward position now price/performance wise. ():)

Venoom

Nov 10, 2009
I noticed Europeans snagging eBay deals a few years ago with their more powerful currency!

Anyway, are you sure the NEC is more expensive here? I have no way to look up Euro prices to my knowledge. I think it's comparable to the Dell U2410 if you can't get a decent price on the Dell.

Yeah, I am seeing the LCD2490WUXi² (must be the newer model) at around 950$ here.
There isn't really any equivalent to newegg in Europe but this website http://www.toppreise.ch/index.html is pretty good for finding prices and availability in Switzerland, and 1$ ~= 1 CHF.

I agree. If you're going to spend $3,000.00 on the rig you should go with the 5970, or just get a 5850 and overclock it. The 5870 is in an awkward position now price/performance wise. ():)

Guys, none of the three is available here, so I am probably going with a GT 220 and wait for some stock :p
I wanted the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X because of the Vapor-X, but yeah probably makes more sense to buy 5850 in crossfire or 5970.

Last edited: