Help Needed Display drops at win boot gpu and igpu

DaveT231

Aug 9, 2016
Well I don’t come on to forums for computer help but this one has me frustrated and scratching my head so any outside opinions would be much appreciated.

Problems started yesterday randomly my monitor wouldn’t wake so I reset the system, monitor wakes up I go into the bios back down on my OC and go to boot, monitor stays up through boot splash screen but as soon as windows would be starting up the monitor drops signal. Okay strange so I start my trouble shooting doing everything I can think of. I get into safe mode w/net and monitor is working through gpu I use DDU and CCleaner to remove the nvidia drivers reboot it does the same thing. Tried different mem different slots, bios defaults all the basics.

Strange so then I go back into safe mod install the latest drivers and restart still no dice, my GTX1080 randomly crapping out? Take it out of the equation hook up monitor to intergrated gfx same deal crap, back to safe mode repeat DDU and CC restart back to safe mode install Intel Igpu driver, cross my fingers and same friggin thing!!!

Okay well I’m sure I ruled out hardware so now I’m trying to figure out what the fug happened to my win 10 pro installation.

Any help before I lose any sembelence of patience and nuke the install and start from scratch?

Many thanks in advance

System:
I7 6700k
Asus Maximus 8 Hero
G.skill 8gbx4 DDR4-3600
Asus ROG Strix GTX1080
Samsung 960 Evo nvme m.2 1tb
2 older intel SSDs, 4tb bulk storage HDD
Not that it matters in this case but cpu and gpu are watercooled on a custom loop.
Win 10 pro 64

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Did you (or Windows) install updates when the problem began? Otherwise, I would look more towards it being a hardware issue of some kind.

If you want to rule out the software being the issue, you can do the reset like you mentioned, and see how it goes. If you still have issues after that, you'll have to start isolating the components to see which one is the issue.

DaveT231

Aug 9, 2016
It’s a possibility, sadly I had restore points disabled so I can’t system restore back to before my issues began. I’m 99% sure it’s not hardware related everything is fine and dandy until full windows loads any kind of display driver and then freaks out I’ve run memtest and the like to rule out the mem cpu or mobo being the culprit, I’m sure it’s software screwing me in this case.
I was hoping someone else would have some more ideas before I kill off everything with a fresh format. If need be I’ll go back in safe mode and backup anything I don’t want to lose, just hoping to save the install if possible.

ETA- My next step will probably be running a unbuntu live CD and see if all is well outside of win 10 and confirm that my issue is indeed Winblows jamming me up.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It’s a possibility, sadly I had restore points disabled so I can’t system restore back to before my issues began. I’m 99% sure it’s not hardware related everything is fine and dandy until full windows loads any kind of display driver and then freaks out I’ve run memtest and the like to rule out the mem cpu or mobo being the culprit, I’m sure it’s software screwing me in this case.
I was hoping someone else would have some more ideas before I kill off everything with a fresh format. If need be I’ll go back in safe mode and backup anything I don’t want to lose, just hoping to save the install if possible.

Is your installation date from when you built your machine? If so, I'd do a reset and hope that fixes the problem. You won't be the first, or the last person whose Windows 10 got hosed from something, and caused problems. Although it being inconvenient to have to do that, the reset feature is pretty quick.

Otherwise, you can use a utility like CrystalDiskInfo to make sure your SSD isn't throwing errors. However, since you aren't are getting bluescreens, utilities like BlueScreenView likely won't shed light on any potential issues.

DaveT231

Aug 9, 2016
Oh I tried doing the reset and it failed on that hence why I’m at the point of thinking a reformat is where I’m headed. I didn’t think of checking the SSD health in CDM, I’ll jump into safe mode again and give that whirl.

I’m getting sentimental in my age used to be I enjoyed nuking an install and starting from scratch.
The install is from when I installed the 960 evo about a year ago or so.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh I tried doing the reset and it failed on that hence why I’m at the point of thinking a reformat is where I’m headed. I didn’t think of checking the SSD health in CDM, I’ll jump into safe mode again and give that whirl.

I’m getting sentimental in my age used to be I enjoyed nuking an install and starting from scratch.
The install is from when I installed the 960 evo about a year ago or so.

Yeah, if reset fails like you mentioned, it could very well be an OS issue.

But on the same note, I had the same thing happen when my son's old motherboard began flaking out. I initially tried to reset Windows 10, but it failed. I ended up doing a clean install instead, but shortly after it installed, the odd problems continued. It was an older system that he was outgrowing anyways, so I ended up giving him a new CPU/motherboard/RAM, and all the problems went away.

So sometimes a motherboard becoming flaky can be something to consider if the clean install doesn't take care of your problems. And motherboard problems are often the toughest to figure out, but I luckily am a PC part hoarder, so I was able to swap out things like the RAM and PSU to rule them as being the issue.

DaveT231

Aug 9, 2016
It’s this flavor of strangeness that has my spidey senses tingling software, it fails same point every time random instability would lead me more towards hardware. In fact I think somewhere in my trying I managed to get into full winblows on the igpu and it freaked out when I went to install the intel display driver, the day of diagnosis has kind of turned into a blur so I’m not 100%. Might sleep on it and try the SSD smart health check and running Linux to confirm my issue is with the install and not something else messing with my mind.

At this point I half suspect my rig is trolling me for spending too much time using my surface pro since I work in 3D modeling and haven’t got a wago for my gaming rig yet.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It’s this flavor of strangeness that has my spidey senses tingling software, it fails same point every time random instability would lead me more towards hardware.

Your spidey sense might be spot on, but there's only one way to know for sure. Like I mentioned, when my son told me his PC was having weird errors when he was trying to use his programs, I figured he screwed something up (or got a virus/malware). I tried to reset it, but it was a no-go. At this point I strongly suspected it was malware, so I cleaned his drive and did a clean install. However, since the odd problems continued on a clean install, I moved onto the next step of testing the hardware. Hopefully, the clean install will work for you, and you won't have to worry about the hardware. :)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Do you let Windows load your igpu when using the Nvidia card? You might try disabling Intel graphics from the BIOS and see if that helps.

If not, the best action would be to fresh install Windows and see if the problem returns.