Help, need to give a 5 minute interactive lesson, any topic

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
As part of a job interview I have been asked to come prepared to give a 5 minute "lesson" about a topic of my choosing. I need to make it both educational and interactive in a way that I can show basic "teaching" skills. I have been in grad school/college for about 6 years and have only ever had to give presentations, not "lessons". Also the topics I'm most familiar with don't lend themselves well to 5-minutes or less. Anyone have a suggestion? :eek:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
As part of a job interview I have been asked to come prepared to give a 5 minute "lesson" about a topic of my choosing. I need to make it both educational and interactive in a way that I can show basic "teaching" skills. I have been in grad school/college for about 6 years and have only ever had to give presentations, not "lessons". Also the topics I'm most familiar with don't lend themselves well to 5-minutes or less. Anyone have a suggestion? :eek:

I'm weird but the first thing that comes to my mind is a 5 minute lesson about how 5 minutes isn't long enough to give a lesson.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
What kind of job is it? What topics are you familiar with? What age group are you teaching?

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I'm weird but the first thing that comes to my mind is a 5 minute lesson about how 5 minutes isn't long enough to give a lesson.

Reminds me of when I was in school and one of the ice breakers we had to do (was for a public speaking class) was to present a "favorite". Like favorite ice cream or favorite color.

My roommate gave his presentation on his "favorite favorite". The class didn't think it was funny, I was trying so hard to keep from laughing so he could finish with a straight face.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Reminds me of when I was in school and one of the ice breakers we had to do (was for a public speaking class) was to present a "favorite". Like favorite ice cream or favorite color.

My roommate gave his presentation on his "favorite favorite". The class didn't think it was funny, I was trying so hard to keep from laughing so he could finish with a straight face.

I bet he got an A!

There are some of us that naturally think outside the box. Its not always well received but it is always fun.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
"This is my presentation on sex. First, the man obtains an erection, like so *shows per erection*. Next the female removes her clothing and lays in a sexytime position, usually of the males choosing *place the female interviewer on table*. Next, he plows her for about 30 to 60 seconds until he shamfully orgasms, spewing forth his seed *plow woman, then shamfully burst your man batter*. This has been a sexual education experience by Pete6032. Thanks you"

Oh and I forgot to mention, that will only work if it's a female. Things might get weird if it's a guy...

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
"This is my Penis..."

"...now, for the Interactive portion of my presentation, I need a volunteer..."

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
"This is my Penis..."

"...now, for the Interactive portion of my presentation, I need a volunteer..."

I was in here first, your comment is void :p

Also, that's not a lesson on anything... it's just his small little pecker dangling out for all to see. 1/10 for creativity

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
How to pluck a live chicken. You will stand out from the rest of the crowd of appicants.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
How to string and tune a guitar.

Steam sale buying techniques to maximize savings.

Basic Street Fighter 4 combos.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Its a tutoring job so they just want to see that I can engage college level students and make material interesting.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
College level students? I suggest how to string and tune a guitar, Steam sale buying techniques to maximize savings, or basic Street Fighter 4 combos.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
A 5 minute lesson that's going to be both educational and interactive? Hmm... You are going to have to make material. Something non-complicated. How about teaching them how to say "hello" in different languages. You can use flash cards, pictures of different countries, and maybe even quickly test them at the end. Its fun and you can easily do it in a 5 minute window. Just pick 5-10 countries. Maybe Korea, Thai, Brazil, Japan, etc... You can say "what do these countries do differently? Each country says hello differently when greeting friends, family, and strangers." I would practice, practice, and practice. Don't wait till the last minute. Good luck.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
First thing that came to mind was fold clothes (plenty of people actually don't know how). Then I thought of shining (work) shoes. Shit man there's a billion things you could do.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
"This is my presentation on sex. First, the man obtains an erection, like so *shows per erection*. Next the female removes her clothing and lays in a sexytime position, usually of the males choosing *place the female interviewer on table*. Next, he plows her for about 30 to 60 seconds until he shamfully orgasms, spewing forth his seed *plow woman, then shamfully burst your man batter*. This has been a sexual education experience by Pete6032. Thanks you"

Oh and I forgot to mention, that will only work if it's a female. Things might get weird if it's a guy...

You forgot the pathetic fishing for compliments afterwards..."That was amazing! Was it good for you? I usually last much longer..."