HELP - Need recommendation to build or buy the new system.

Tanker135

Oct 11, 1999
It's been awhile I have visited the board and have not kept up with the computer lately. I want to go back to the old day by building the new system or buying a new one. I got 2K-2.5K to spend on computer system. The system is mainly for game and surf the net with occasionally doing CAD work.

As a minimum a 19" monitor is a must. DVD is not required. I can either build it myself or can buy the new one off the shelf. Actually I prefer to build, but please give me the other option too. PLEASE HELP me to spend the money. Thanks

AIRREAK

Apr 6, 2000

It is always easier to get what you want if you build it yourself. I have three systems currently and have built all of them. Plus a couple I sold to family and friends.

Moltnrok

Feb 9, 2001
Tanker 135

Build it yourself...I myself am in the process of building a computer, using the best parts I can get. For $2000 I could build a system bigger/better/faster than anything else out there for sale as a system.
For example: the system I am building has only cost me $615 so far and all I need to buy still is the mobo, processor, cd-burner, (maybe a DVD), and a video card. Included in this price is a $200 cable modem, so I've only spen a bit over $400 to date. Here's what I've got for reference and expected final cost.
InWin q500 case-95 shipped
Sony 1.44" floppy drive-13 shipped
256K Crucial Cas2 pc133 sdram-95 shipped
Samsung 17" flat screen monitor-145 shipped (after rebate)
Microsoft internet pro keyboard-microsoft optical mouse (combo for 50)
best data cable modem-165 (after rebates)
*IWill KK266 mobo (130 shipped)
*AMD t-bird 1.2gh w/ 266 bus (210 shipped)
*Radeon 64mg vid card-170 shipped
*Plextor 12x10x32 or better cd-rw-$200 shipped

*denotes expected prices
I have also bought supplies to build this with and have been included in the price I've paid to date. (paint, grounding strap, etc.)
I expect to have this "Supercomputer" built for less than $1300
Surely you can build exactly what you want for the money you have, and have plenty left over for whatever.