Question HELP - My SSD Caught Fire - Can You Tell If it was Sata Power Cable or the Pins On the SSD (see photos)

muskyx1

Apr 20, 2005
My WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB SSD caught fire last week. Drops of burning melting plastic set the carpet on fire burning a hole. So from the photos, you think it was the cable from an EVGA Supernova 1300W PSU or the connector on the SSD. I'm kinda leaning towards the SSD connector since the cables that came with the EVGA were pretty decent. Also, looking at similar fires from cheap molex adapters, the Sata connector is usually still present. Discolored and warped, but it's still there (see bottom pic for example). There's also a review on Amazon of the same thing happening on his.

Pleas keep in mind that the ssd was not resting on the Carpet. It was temporarily hooked up to transfer files. The case was open and the drive was sitting on a ledge on the bottom with the sata connector slightly overhanging outside of the case and about 3 to 4 inches above the carpet. The cable was placed by the hole so I could get a pic of both in the same image.

1576536184410.png

1576536604817.png

When Cheap Molex Adaptor or Cable is used.

1576536434475.png

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have just one question, is this a modular PSU, and are you using ONLY the cables that CAME WITH the PSU, no pre-existing wired cables from a prior PSU?

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Seems pretty clear the burned part is on the power cable not the sata connector. You sure you didn't plug the cable into a PCI-e slot? Or a "perf" slot? Noy sure what the perf slots are for...

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
I think you experienced a short between the 12V pins and ground, based on which part of the connector is melted. That SSD doesn't use the 12V pins for anything, so the short was probably either a bent pin or stray piece of metal that ended up inside the PSU harness's connector. There's a small chance that you could solder a fresh power connector onto the drive PCB and get it working again. I would like to see the condition of the PCB inside the drive case.