Help!! My automatic shift knob is stuck.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Hopefully, you guys can help.

Just got home from picking my daughter up at school. I go to put my car in Park, and it just slides, instead of shifts. So, the gear apparently changed to neutral, I believe, or stayed on drive, and is now stuck in the Park spot. The button that one would push in in order to move the shift knob is stuck and will not respond.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

ValValline

Feb 18, 2005
Make sure your brake light switch is working. Many cars will not let you shift out of park if you do not have the brakes applied.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: ValValline
Make sure your brake light switch is working. Many cars will not let you shift out of park if you do not have the brakes applied.

Thanks for the input, but breaks work and all. I can't even turn the car back on because the gear just will not budge.

Anyone else?

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Look for a "Shift Lock Override" or similarly named slot near the shifter. You need to stick your key into the slot (i.e. the ignition is off) and then you can shift out of Park.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Sound like the shift linkage might have broken.

Try releasing the brakes and the parking brake, and pushing the car forward or backward a couple feet. Does it move? (Be sure to put the parking brake back on when you're done;)). If so, it's almost certainly the shift linkage, because the transmission itself is not in park.

Incidentally, when parking on an incline, do you use the parking brake? Do you engage the parking brake BEFORE releasing the brakes and/or shifting into Park?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I think it's the shift linkage like jagec mentioned, and thanks for informing me about the shift override buddha.

Jagec, the transmission itself is not on park. I believe it's in Neutral as the car does move back and forth. Do you know of how such a problem can be fixed? Would I have to take things apart, or is it something that I should def. take to a shop??

Thanks again guys.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: digiram
Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it. I think it's the shift linkage like jagec mentioned, and thanks for informing me about the shift override buddha.

Jagec, the transmission itself is not on park. I believe it's in Neutral as the car does move back and forth. Do you know of how such a problem can be fixed? Would I have to take things apart, or is it something that I should def. take to a shop??

Thanks again guys.

It depends on *where* the linkage broke, and what caused it to break.

I'd trace the linkage back to where it connects to the transmission. There will basically be a linkage directly on the side of the transmission...at least, the ones I've seen. Reach up there and try to change it by hand (you shouldn't be able to using normal force). Get someone to work the shifter. If it's operating properly, the shifter should move the linkage...click, click, click through the positions. If the linkage isn't moving, the break/disconnect is further up, and won't be expensive to repair. If the linkage is moving just fine, but the transmission isn't shifting...chances are it'll be more expensive. The former you can probably handle yourself, the latter is more shop work. Very few DIY types are ready to tackle automatic transmission overhaul/repair.

Mrfrog840

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2000
same thing happened in my 99 accord...

There was a problem with the neutral safety switch, stopped working, or something along those lines...

forget how much it costed me to have it replaced..

I own a subaru now...

Hello fellow subaru owner :D