DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
So, i went a little overboard with my new PC build and bought an Acer Predator XB271HU Monitor and a GTX 1080 :fearful:, initially was supposed to be a normal 1080p 60hz monitor + GTX 1060 6 GB. So you can imagine i am absolutely out of funds to buy a proper fast ram for my ryzen cpu, so i wondering if i can just slap any DDR4 ram in the sysem and be done with it ?

will it work ? i can buy any DDR4 ram and slap it in the mobo and it'll work fine ? i am used to do that with intel without too many problems, but i heard ryzen is different and is finicky when it comes to ram, so it makes me worry. My mother board is ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD AM4 Socket Motherboard

not to mention i was unable to find any of the suggested ram from my motherboard support page.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
If it's lowish speed ram I think it will work fine. Higher speed ram is probably more difficult to get working but even that has gotten much better with agesa updates. How much do you have to spend and where are you buying from?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
When running at 2666Mhz and bellow you won't have problems with RAM compatibility since the main problem with Ryzen is running the memory over 3000Mhz. It's not mandatory to get the 3200Mhz CL14 kits everyone is talking about, but it would still be a very good idea to get a single rank 3000+ memory kit. Last option I would recommend would be 2800 CL14 or 2666 CL13 kit, however keep in mind memory prices are so inflated and skewed right now that many retailers around the world end up selling slow memory kits for roughly the same price as fast memory kits. Personally I think buying 2400 CL15 or 2600 CL16 kits would be a mistake, especially in the context of your build.

I suggest a bit of patience, take a look at your options and maybe post them on the forum, your thread from the CPU section might be a better idea considering there's more context there. Ryzen owners will likely help validate the better chips for your.

Reactions: DeadlyTitan

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
How much do you have to spend and where are you buying from?

Where i live i costs way too much to build a system.

https://www.theitdepot.com/

That would be site i am buying stuff from.

to put it into context my ryzen 5 1600 build is costing me around $3000
  • Acer Predator XB271HU - $1000
  • GTX 1080 - $695
  • Ryzen 5 1600 + B350 Board = $500

A 16 GB 2133Mhz cas 16 DDR4 ram module will be costing anywhere between $200 ~ $300, anything faster than that is costing a kidney.

so i just wanted to know if i can pop the cheapest DDR4 ram i can find and it'll work fine. Having faster ram sure increases ryzen performance but at these prices i can no longer afford any.

your thread from the CPU section might be a better idea considering there's more context there.

I thought posting there would be out of context cause its about i7 3700 and ryzen 5 1600.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
A 16 GB 2133Mhz cas 16 DDR4 ram module will be costing anywhere between $200 ~ $300, anything faster than that is costing a kidney.

so i just wanted to know if i can pop the cheapest DDR4 ram i can find and it'll work fine. Having faster ram sure increases ryzen performance but at these prices i can no longer afford any.
Sadly memory speed and latency is very important for both Ryzen and your newly acquired GTX 1080 (much more performance potential). In fact, the new GPU raises the bar so high that memory performance would be a must on any system, Intel or AMD.

But let's concentrate a bit on what that shop has to offer:
  • the cheapest 8GB DIMM I saw was this one - Crucial 2400 CL17 for Rs 6205 a piece - or $190 for 2x8GB if I properly converted your currency.
  • the best performing 8GB DIMM available is this one Crucial Ballistix 3466 CL16 for Rs 7655 a piece - or $240 for 2x8GB - As far as I know this model uses Samsung chips and is one of the best candidates for your system, although you may have to run it at 3200Mhz instead of 3466.
  • there's also a 16GB kit that's decent - G.Skill 3200 CL16 for Rs 15175 / $235 - I own this kit, it uses Hynix chips and it did work at 3200Mhz in my Ryzen 1600X system, so you can count on it working at 3000Mhz on your system. (I'm giving these lower estimates as a worst case scenario, your board may actually be better than mine)
So unless I got something wrong in relation to prices or taxes in your currency (which may very well be), you can get decent or excellent RAM for only a small premium over the cheapest and actually very bad performance RAM. If my converted prices are correct, I would urge not to buy 2400 CL17 RAM under any circumstances... get a small loan from a friend or simply wait until you have the extra cash to buy the faster memory. The performance equivalent between the slowest and the fastest RAM would be the equivalent of you buying a GTX 1070 instead of 1080, it can be that bad in certain games.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
I am thinking of buying a 1 x 16 GB so i can upgrade in future (maybe in a few months) to an another 1 x 16 GB to a total of 32 Gigs, since i will be using this platform for a long time cause of obvious reasons. If i need to upgrade, i'll buy a 3rd gen ryzen chip and be done with it. No longer need to upgrade the whole platform, which is the reason i choose ryzen in the first place.

The reason i need that kinda ram is cause its not just gaming that i do on my PC, i also work on it, Database, VM's VS 2017, Photoshop, Illustrator all while having a ton of chrome tabs open.

my choices are

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I feel like it's hard to make a good recommendation here, 16gb sticks may be especially difficult to get running at high speeds on ryzen. The "best" case scenario is of course the 3200c14 kit from gskill, but it costs over 34000 on the site you're shopping from. However, it is on your motherboard qvl as being able to run at 2933mhz, and being dual rank that should be as fast or faster than 8gb sticks at 3200 (I think). Buying ram at different times and potentially from different batches could create problems too, but I'm not sure how important this is. Do the best you can, and hope it works, I guess?

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
I've got the same motherboard as you. I'm using crucial ballistic ddr4 2400 that can get to ddr4 3000. And that's with a pair of double sided 16 GB DIMMS such is pretty much worst case. So with smaller capacities it should be at least as gas as mine.