Help me understand screen tearing in Netflix

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
RE: HTPC in sig below.

I don't get it... I have a more than capable CPU and GPU, yet I'm still getting screen tearing, primarily watching Netflix. Since Netflix dropped WMC support, it defaults to, I'm guessing, IE to view video in Netflix? Or exactly how does it work? I do know the remote no longer controls Netflix once it switches to actually playing a movie. I've not tried to view Netflix straight up with IE, I don't like the menu GUI and, of course, the remote doesn't work at all there, even in the menu portion.

I know as everyone and everything abandons WMC I'll have to find a better solution going forward, but all we really use is WMC for is to navigate stored video and view Netflix. Seems like there should be a simple solution...

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
What operating system are you using? I use the Netflix app from the Windows store on Windows 10 - it works great. No tearing at all.

Screen tearing, as far as I remember, is usually caused by framerates that are too high rather than too low. In games, V sync is usually the fix for screen tearing.

So perhaps the browser based Netflix app isn't properly metering the framerate?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
As it says in my sig... I'm running W7 and WMC.

That's sort of what I was thinking... whatever Netflix is using is the problem, it wouldn't be the first time. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something on my end.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
What's your screen setup? Any tearing in other video apps (Kodi, VLC, etc)? If you do have 2 different types of screens connected, read on. If not, nevermind.

My Win10 HTPC is connected to a plasma TV by HDMI, AND a PC monitor by DVI. Since the TV refresh rate is 59.whatever, and the monitor is a true 60Hz, and the GPU can only output one or the other, tearing results on one screen no matter what (IE vs. Edge vs Netflix app). Same thing before I switched from Win7. If you are running a multi-screen setup, try changing the "Primary" display setting in.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm not... it's a single LED fed via HDMI. I don't get tearing when viewing video stored locally (through WMC via Media Browser.) Really, our use is stupid simple... all we watch is stored video or Netflix, that's why the Netflix tearing is urinating in my Corn Flakes so much.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Have you tried running Netflix from inside another browser (Chrome or Firefox) to see what happens? Your WMC remote won't work there, but it might tell you if it is actually a browser problem or not.