help me understand crossfire

ARRGH

Sep 30, 2010
i have always been with nvidia the past decade but this time i decided to go with a crossfire setup. it is totally alien to me and am having alot of trouble understanding it.

with nvidia you download the drivers and the control panel is included with them so you can edit and create application profiles and change settings in there easily. nvidia also has the sli bar within the drivers as well. i never used 3rd party applications that fiddled with drivers. only 3rd party applications i used were gpu monitoring software like evga precision or msi afterburner.

-why do people call drivers, for example, 11.4 when there is no such number under the driver's version while viewing them under device manager? the driver version would be called something like 8.85.21 or something but does not give any hint of it being the 11.4 or 11.8p that is touted on the forums.

-where is the crossfire scale bar like nvidia has? it appears that you must use a 3rd party program to get such a scale?

-what is catalyst control center, is this the actual amd driver or only it's control panel?

-what is something called CAP 11.7? it appears to be another 3rd party program. it appears to mess with application profiles but can't i edit and create those in the amd drivers directly? i have found no place to create an application profile in the amd driver and also adjust it's settings like AFR and such.

-what is the purpose radeon pro? this is another 3rd party program. upon installing this and adding a crysis 2 profile with the proper executable path to it the end result was even worse performance to the point that it slowed the game down to where even the audio was slowing down....

-what gpu monitoring application can i use for AMD that also offers logitech LCD screen support like precision and afterburner do? i would love to stick afterburner but it is not showing the memory usage for the amd cards.

i am basically having issues with crossfire not working properly in crysis 2 with dx11 ultra settings and high resolution textures. the scaling does not appear to work properly or the performance is of the same as a single card. i also have this same issue with FFXIV. even with messing around with those 3rd party programs they did not offer any solution exception, what appears to me, unnecessary bloatware and confusion.

after un-installing the bloatware i went back to latest amd drivers and simply checked to ensure crossfire was enabled in CCC. i then loaded up crysis warhead and msi afterburner was reporting full xfire scaling with both gpu's pegged. but of course crysis 2 and ffxiv do not scale at all....

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
The 11.4 and such is the year it came out followed by the month. CCC is the driver and the control panel. Sometimes crossfire scaling is fixed by the drivers. It usually is with time. Just make sure your drivers are always up-to-date. Sometimes crossfire just doesnt work with a certain game.

ARRGH

Sep 30, 2010
The 11.4 and such is the year it came out followed by the month. CCC is the driver and the control panel. Sometimes crossfire scaling is fixed by the drivers. It usually is with time. Just make sure your drivers are always up-to-date. Sometimes crossfire just doesnt work with a certain game.

well SLI works in crysis 2 and ffxiv. if crossfire does not "yet" work in these games it would be unnaceptable to me. it's not like these game just came out.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
well SLI works in crysis 2 and ffxiv. if crossfire does not "yet" work in these games it would be unnaceptable to me. it's not like these game just came out.

Then get nvidia cards. If I had that problem I would too.

tijag

Apr 7, 2005

CAP is the application profile provided by AMD for CF. Its a separate download so that they can update/fix the application profiles as they have them, rather than waiting for the next driver update. Also, since the vast majority of people are not doing CF, then they aren't making people d/l stuff that's of no use to them.

Make sure you're always running the most recent CAP.

Find the most recent one here :
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

ARRGH

Sep 30, 2010
CAP is the application profile provided by AMD for CF. Its a separate download so that they can update/fix the application profiles as they have them, rather than waiting for the next driver update. Also, since the vast majority of people are not doing CF, then they aren't making people d/l stuff that's of no use to them.

Make sure you're always running the most recent CAP.

Find the most recent one here :
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

i installed the 11.8 preview drivers that give increased performance in crysis 2 and also installed this CAP 11.7 version and crossfire is still not working. both gpu's are only at 50% load in the game...

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
You should probably give a complete rundown of your hardware, so people can give more informed answers.
You are only telling us, you have a system , now AMD, 2 gpu's (which model)
TH did a dx11 benchmark article, as have others and they show decent scaling.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-directx-11-performance,2983-6.html
Dx11&

ARRGH

Sep 30, 2010
i figured it out. there is a bug. by trial and error i simply switched the in-game graphics fidelity back and forth and it allowed xfire to scale properly. for example, launch the game, the settings are on ultra. change them to extreme and xfire now worked so then change them back to ultra.

i hate bugs like this because this one took me an entire day to find.

for ffxiv i installed the CAP 11.7 from amd and that also did the trick.

thanks for all the help.

btw, hardware specs; alienware m18x laptop with 6990m in crossfire.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Its also another pitfall of having dual gpu's.
I notice that with Witcher 2 in my setup, I can't go much more than high or less in some settings and the gpu usage tanks. Settings that you would presume, would only shift the system towards more gpu usage.

I have not had time to game recently, so do not know if its been tweaked. Game patches /drivers etc.